Silently observing..

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
I have been observing for some time reading the posts and trying learn as much as possible.

To give everyone some background information, I am a certified Industrial Electrician. I currently work as a Maintenance Manager for a company locally, and have spent the last 8 years in management. I am very young, and very motivated. However the I have found myself getting to the point that I do not look forward to going to work anymore... The pay is great, but the job itself is just not cutting it anymore.

I have been running the numbers for some time with every available operating cost imaginable. The numbers do not look bad. I realize that I will be losing home time, however dollar and cents wise, I won't be loosing that much, and the major thing is that I will be gaining a lot less stress, and more freedom..

Question 1. Living in Fort Wayne, In what type of hometime should I really consider?

Question 2. I am averaging my mpg at 9 to be safe, but what trucks get the best fuel milage, and hold their value longer?

Question 3. How long will it normally take "proving" wise before my dispatchers with make sure that I am taken "care" of..

Thank you for any information that you can offer.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Flatbed'n, Welcome to EO.

1. 9mpg is a great estimate, although I believe that a straight truck should get at least 10 MPG, and I would try whatever it takes to make that happen. Some additives and a smooth foot on the go-pedal make a huge difference. The finest of the fine lines between profit and loss in many situations land sqarely on MPG in my opinion.

2. Fort Wayne is a great location for an expediter, but regardless of where you live, a big truck won't make a nickel in the driveway. Stopping by the house for a few - and even sleeping in your own bed more often are definitely doable out of the Fort, but it is wise to stay IN SERVICE for a minimum of 10 days+ at a time, and be available on weekends as well.

3. Within your first few runs a company will see the kind of stuff that you are made from. First impressions will go a long way.

I hope this sheds a little light, and once again - WELCOME!

Scott

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Suggestion read other sections of the forum ask same questions of owners and drivers plus what the recruiters say and add together and don’t soak in all the negative a owner or driver might say in just one post because they might be mad about something at the time or just be negative all the time have to look at the big whole picture.
And one person’s truck is another’s nightmare but if enough response you will have I hope a better idea than with out the input. There is a lot of debates about different trucks in the truck forum already but you may just repost your questions in the truck forum and general forums.
PS FT Wayne is a great spot never have trouble getting a load out after being home for a weekend or some thing freight in and out of there every day.
I live in Iowa so not so good.
good luck!
Alvin