Serpantine splitting

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have been having recurring problems with my serpantine belt splitting offf a sectction at time, my pulleys all seeem tight and they run true, this is the 3rd belt in as many months,

Any ideas?

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
The pulleys have to run true with no radial or axial end play. The pulleys also do wear. All of the pulleys should be checked individually, with no belt attached, so no load. Then check alignment one to the other. Splitting of a serpentine belt indicates misalignment or axial end play.

Scott

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I had the same type of problem with my Serpentine belt. The water pump started going bad (wobble) which caused the belt to eventually break. They replaced the pump and belt, but it broke within 200 hundred miles. They/I checked alignment, tensioner, and any thing else we could think of. New belt lasted about a hundred miles before it started cutting it into smaller belts.

It took about four or five belts before we found out that there was belt remnants left in the grooves of the pulleys. Not much but it was enough to have the belt get slightly off track. Once the pulleys were cleaned Really well, no more problem.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
It appears that the iddler pulley isnt runnijg true, so in the am after i deliver im off to get a new one.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Clean the grooves with brake cleaner and a brass wire brush them nice and clean. Also a handy investment is a pully wear guage they sell them at most parts stores works like a feeler guage and lets you know if your pulley is worn.

Also, spend the extra five or ten bucks for the better belts. I replaced mine with a set of Gates Fleet Runners, premium line Green backing. Can get them at Carquest
Good belt, runs quiet, and not too badly priced. I have almost 150K on my set and still going. BTW incase you dont know Carquesst is getting deep into the Heavy duty truck market so you dont need to get raped at the dealerships.

Bob Wolf.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Had the same problem last month. It ended up being the wrong size pulley on a newly installed A/C pump. The pulley was too narrow and cut the edge off the belt. Had to have the pulley and belt replaced at a Ford dealer in Toledo. Garage that installed the pump contacted NAPA rep who is reimbursing me 100% for their supply error.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Hino charged me 359 for the idler arm and 200 for labor. Truckers seriously get hosed at the dealer, oh well at least i didnt get covered in grease.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The worse part is you dont even get a kiss when you get screwed at the dealership.