School me on Freightliner M2 106

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I have a 07. Bought and paid for now thanks to the last carrier I was with. I don't think I could pay for one today the way things are going out here??
Your not asking about the motors correct?
As far as the chassis and what I do with it I feel it was a good choice for running the auto freight up and down I-75. It maybe a little lite but she works. I don't ask it do do what she isn't designed to do. I think these are set up to be nothing more then a glorified city truck.
Been a fairly dependable truck for me. Finding small replacement parts may become a issue soon as Freightliner tends to change vendors. I don't run coast to coast, ( wait I don't run far at all anymore) so I am not beating it to death either. I tend to slide under it each time I get home or at least every other time and keep a close eye on things. Try to give it a shot of grease every week when weather allows me to. I have been happy with mine and I feel it was a good investment at the right price.
I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.. There have been repairs but that comes with any equipment you have.. You best answer may come from fleet owners that run these and other style trucks as as they have more to compare. If running a team operation and have a carrier that runs team miles, I'm thinking they would hold up different..

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I forgot 1 thing.. Biggest problem I have had is the plastic dash/bezel.. So if your looking at one check that over carefully.. They crack from the inside at any mounting points and around screw location.. I have rebuilt the area around my parking brake valve with epoxy and so far its holding tight..

Deville

Not a Member
Which engine do you have? What's the HP rating? Auto or manual?

I'm looking to replace my FL80. I was planing on picking up something in 2015 so I'm starting to look now. I'll be doing the same work with FDCC that i'm doing now.

I have owned/leased 3 different FL's since 2000 with CAT motors, I know them very well now. I'm not well versed in the M's at all. I do know I don't want an MB motor. I would love to get a Cummins, but if the right deal comes along with a c7 i'm willing to go that route.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Which engine do you have? What's the HP rating? Auto or manual?

I'm looking to replace my FL80. I was planing on picking up something in 2015 so I'm starting to look now. I'll be doing the same work with FDCC that i'm doing now.

I have owned/leased 3 different FL's since 2000 with CAT motors, I know them very well now. I'm not well versed in the M's at all. I do know I don't want an MB motor. I would love to get a Cummins, but if the right deal comes along with a c7 i'm willing to go that route.

I have everything your not looking for.. MB 260. 6 speed manual. For sure not a work horse but like I said it does what I need. Only hill I can think of that bothers it when loaded is the one coming off the bridge into Ky on S/bound 75. I think most of that is due to not being able to run the hill with that curve/traffic and speed limit there.
I really don't know what/where you run but I think the fedx will give you more miles then I get.. Cummings would be my choice..
If buying used,
Why not rebuild what you got or rebuild another truck at your leisure?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just my opinion here but I would not buy an 08 or 09 truck and deal with the EGR, DPF and regen issues that these years have been experiencing. I would buy up to 07 or jump straight to 2011. Then it would be a class 8 with a Detroit and DEF. The medium duty engines from 08 up to present just have had various problems and the class 8 engines of the same years have issues also but the Detroit seems to be having less. You can find 05 to 07 m2 106's with C9 cats in them and they are pretty durable. Also, don't be afraid of the m2 112 with the 13 L Mercedes from 05 to 07 they are good engines. Nothing like the small Mercedes. You can also find the c9 in these. Like any truck. Check them out closely and pull all reports and records.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I have everything your not looking for.. MB 260. 6 speed manual. For sure not a work horse but like I said it does what I need. Only hill I can think of that bothers it when loaded is the one coming off the bridge into Ky on S/bound 75. I think most of that is due to not being able to run the hill with that curve/traffic and speed limit there.
I really don't know what/where you run but I think the fedx will give you more miles then I get.. Cummings would be my choice..
If buying used,
Why not rebuild what you got or rebuild another truck at your leisure?

From experience most trucks loaded heavy are struggling up that long incline, I'm lucky to do it at 50 most times in my m2 with the Mercedes power train.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
From experience most trucks loaded heavy are struggling up that long incline, I'm lucky to do it at 50 most times in my m2 with the Mercedes power train.

Its gotten me a few times with small loads on.. It really doesnt look like that bad of a hill but it eats a lot of trucks everyday. Sandstone has given me less trouble then this one. Well except coming off Sandstone heavy.. With no Jake its a free fall. :D

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Its gotten me a few times with small loads on.. It really doesnt look like that bad of a hill but it eats a lot of trucks everyday. Sandstone has given me less trouble then this one. Well except coming off Sandstone heavy.. With no Jake its a free fall. :D

Yep, the engine brake in the mb is worthless in my opinion, it has the back pressure of a wet fart!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
You all must have the little ones. I can put 7000# in the box and climb just about anything @ 65 mph. Might downshift to 5th but holds speed and my exhaust brake hold pretty good also. That's the difference between the little one and the 13 liter, that and durability !!!!!