Satellite Radio In Van

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Gonna be picking up the Sirius satellite radio in a day or two. Just wondering where is the best place to mount the receiver and antenna??? Pictures would be awesome.

Anyone recommend a receiver? They have some at most truck stops that is where I will probably pick mine up at. I like the $60 one

THANKS

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the Sportster 5. Get one that let's you pause the station. That way if you're out if the truck you don't miss anything. Best Buy probably has better prices than a truck stop.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also these newer receivers have very low powered fm output so if your radio doesn't have an aux input pick up the adapter that cuts out the antenna when your receiver is on.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check with the satellite provider, alot of the time you can get a better radio cheaper.i done that a couple of times lately.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I don't like having too many visible toys advertised on the dash/windshield so I went the stealth way. I purchased an aftermarket Kenwood head unit that was Sirius capable. This way there is nothing extra on the dash. I control the satelite radio thru the Kenwood HU. Every wire for Sirius is hidded under the dashboard, the antenna wire is ran thru a grommet in the firewall, up the exterior windshield channel and the little antenna button rest on the roof.

And yes, Best Buy is cheaper than the truck stops.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I bought two sirious radio units, a more expensive model for the wifes, Dodge Charger which is dock is attached to the winshield and antennae is mounted on dashboard by the winshield. At first I too was worried about advertising my electronics, but in early December, house was burlarized and the Charger was taken too, but they left behind the sirious radio set because you can't reuse it if its been reported stolen. The expensive model I chose because I also picked up a boom box radio, which the radio fits onto! I bought an older cheaper version for my Jeep Cherokee that I will interchange with my cargo van. Bought both at Radio Shack and for both radios and boom box paid $180.00 I did have mine professionally installed by a guy who does stereos, car alarms, etc.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Don't know how I would survive out here w/out my Sirius radio.....just make sure to keep it tuned to 100....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

limeymike

Seasoned Expediter
I just use the small magnetic antenna that came with the radio, works great, no need for one of those supertrucker antennas they sell in the chrome shop.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
This is the one Pilot sells and its the same price as best buy. I will get the sportster maybe later cause it has more features but for now this will be plenty. Just tired of looking for stations every 30 miles and its something to get me going right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SIRIUS+...30162&id=1218119765101#tabbed-customerreviews

Thanks for all the info ! I will post back once I get everything going which will probably be tomorrow. Really looking forward to listen to Howard Stern. I used to watch his TV show. Although he is rude and crude. He is funny ( to me )

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are some really good shows on old time radio channel 118.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Well I got everything hooked up and for now just gonna leave the antenna inside till I get home and I will run things and make a clean install. Im getting full signal so it should work.

The radio I wanted was out of stock so I went ahead and got the XM Onyx and went with the XM service which is about 95% the same as Sirius. I also went with the $16.99 package where I get the best of Sirius radio and get Howard Stern, Sirius NFL, Playboy :rolleyes:, etc

Im already in love with it. I like the Onyx alot better than the orginal one I was looking at. Here is the unit I got

SiriusXM - Shop | Radios