Safty issue

clarence pohl

New Recruit
My truck shut down pulling out of flying j I65 exit 264 Birmingham ala got ticket for failure to yield.up to now the mechanics

said it was just the new freight liner. This is a safety issue if yours shuts down in traffic or backing CALL safety now please this ticket is against me for now.

dalejrroks

Active Expediter
I am sure if you choose to fight the ticket you could beat it. If this a reoccurring thing with new freightliners the yes I would agree this is a safety issue. I would be in contact with my fleet owner or dealer if you are an o/o asap.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Clarence, thanks for the post. First, sorry to hear you got this infraction. I notice that this was your first post and that is great but to keep the flow of good and accurate information going you need to follow up on the results of this issue - otherwise we consider a "drive-by-posting". :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Reactions: cheri1122

clarence pohl

New Recruit
My truck shut down pulling out of flying j I65 exit 264 Birmingham ala got ticket for failure to yield.up to now the mechanics

said it was just the new freight liner. This is a safety issue if yours shuts down in traffic or backing CALL safety now please this ticket is against me for now.
I talked with other drivers that have the same problem ,the company put me in a prostar inernational the idle does the same thing but when the idle shut down lite comes on a quick tap on accelerator cancels the shut down still aqirfating and a safety issue has of yet to hear of serious accident but feel it is a matter of time someone will be hurt

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So there's some sort of idle timer that shuts the engine down after a certain amount of idling time? Something sounds very fishy if it shuts down that fast. Sounds like time to reprogram somewhere.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
You could try turning cruise control on and bump it up a few rpms and it should stay running then you dont have to tap accelerator

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
California emissions. I'm driving a 26ft freightliner myself that does that...but its idling. If you were moving it SHOULDN'T shut down like that! That is a serious safety concern and you need to take that up with the truck owner or dealership ASAP. NOW, that being said, I've had mine shut down on me in traffic, but only when there is a serious mechanical issue that would damage the motor. (mine blew a serpentine belt and overheated) Usually starts right back up so you can get out of traffic if you couldn't coast to a shoulder.

If you weren't experiencing a mechanical issue, I'd certainly take that up with your mechanics.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver

Just curious, what yr, and model are you talking about?

clarence pohl

New Recruit
California emissions. I'm driving a 26ft freightliner myself that does that...but its idling. If you were moving it SHOULDN'T shut down like that! That is a serious safety concern and you need to take that up with the truck owner or dealership ASAP. NOW, that being said, I've had mine shut down on me in traffic, but only when there is a serious mechanical issue that would damage the motor. (mine blew a serpentine belt and overheated) Usually starts right back up so you can get out of traffic if you couldn't coast to a shoulder.

If you weren't experiencing a mechanical issue, I'd certainly take that up with your mechanics.
This is the idle program . I have talked to every one concerned but it is a company truck I know they know but to shut down the trucks with the problem would cost them a huge amount of money and they are trying to keep it quiet and to get a lawyer is going to cost me a lot,H.L