Runing I-70 across CO

rmdiesel

Expert Expediter
Has anyone ran I-70 across CO, if so, what should a driver, who has never ran it before, watch out for,and is it as bad as they say it is for T/T?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Other then a long uphill climb out of Denver it is a pleasant run. Usual curves here and there but nothing you can't handle. Now I 70 in Utah has some long miles between exits,make sure you have plenty of fuel..
Now running it in the winter is another story.

KYoung

Expert Expediter
Make sure your registration has all states you are going to go through on it, it can get very costly to go through CO, AZ, UT if you do noy have the proper permits or vehicle registration

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
Running I-70 is one of the best experiences you'll ever have, coming out of Denver on a beautiful sunny day will not only take your breath away(hehehe) but will make you want to pull over and take pictures. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas or fuel, your breaks are in working order and your tires are up to par. This is a beautiful country and driving on I-70, I-80, and I-40 will make you see why.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I70 out of Denver is a beautiful drive, especially in the summer. I`ve gone across in the winter, and it`s also beautiful, but dicey with snow closings at any given time. For that reason, I used to go across I40 when doing a cross country run after September. You won`t be dissapointed in the scenery on I70. Take a peek at Glenwood Springs if you can find a place to park.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Bring an Umbrella in case you stop in Longwood canyon for falling rocks, if you are driving during the day check out the mountain goats they are usually standing in the cliffs near the road.

There is lots to see including the first railway tunnels and trailing piles of old mines etc.
Enjoy!

dukesadog

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Driving across the Rockies is a great drive in a passenger car or motorcycle. In a big rig its work! Eisenhower pass peaks out at around 12000', and the climb before Aspen peaks at over 11000'. In Utah its also beautiful, with endless grades to pull.

If you've never driven your rig into Colorado, expect to be pulled in at all the open weigh stations, until they get your credentials into their system.

If I have to truck to the west coast, I much prefer, I40, easier drive, and less wear and tear on the equpiment.

Have a good ride and be safe.. :) :)

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
Just learned something going thru CO. If you have the last 8 of your vin number posted on your truck you will not get called into the scales. They use these numbers to track your truck. I only go thru CO acouple times a year but am going to have this done so I will not be pulled into every scale I come across.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Good call MR. Woodman...
That's exactly what I was going to mention. Post the last 8 digits of your vin on your truck in 2'' or larger characters and you will have relatively few problems with the Colorado scales.

Say Hi to Utah for me, I miss it sometimes. What a place to be a teenager!!! -Scott

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
You will still get pulled in at least once (maybe not the first scale) after your plate/registration renewal at the beginning of the year. They want to see eveything is up to date. But yes, put that VIN on the passenger side and you will not get pulled in everytime.

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
It is a gorgeous drive (at least west of Denver), but yes if you are heavy can be a lot of work. In the winter make sure you have Chains or be prepared to sit. They do not accept cables all of the time especially on Eisenhour. They do a good job of trying to keep it clear, but if it tell trucks to pull over don't play stupid. They are trying to protect you and the rest of the motoring public. If they tell you to chain, chain or sit. Also in spring and winter there will sometimes be high wind warnings. If you are loaded 20k or less heed the warning and pull over. It doesn't happen that often, but it only takes a minute and the right wind gust for you to be upside down and sideway. If you wait until the sun goes down in these situations, usually the wind will subside too. It isn't something to be avoided, Flagstaff can be just as bad or worse and so can Sherman in WY and the 3 sisters in WY and Battle Mtn in Nevada. Just use your head, pay attention and listen to the weather first. Be careful of detours, sometimes it is worth it to sit and hour or 2 than try to wind a T/T down some of those roads. If you get the chance out of Pueblo try Monarch, it is a gorgeous drive too and you make ok time.

elton10

Expert Expediter
Got to do it on my very first run as an expeditor. It's everything they say it is.. The climb out of Denver and up through Aspen is spectacular and the drive through Glenwood(? I think) Canyon is challenging and rewarding. I sure did learn how to use an engine brake(although some of the small towns along the way prohibit them..so watch the signs)
ALMOST ran out of fuel in Utah..take the advice and stop when the gauge reads half...
And yep the first Colo scale pulled us in to look at thetruck registration and enter the numbers.
Took 70 out and 40 back part of the way(to OK city) then shot down to Baton Rouge and followed 10 to 85 and back NC where we started