Rules for driving in Michigan

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
LOLOL.. If I had only known before.. would have saved a lot of trouble!!

Dreamer

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Great List!

# 25. In Michigan 55 is the speed at which you leave the driveway.

Man, isn't this the truth? How about it Michigan drivers?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have lived my all of my life in Michigan. I never realized how dangerous it was to drive up here incomparson to other states. I learned fast and hard. Driving for Prime Inc, then to the straight truck, it seemed like every car or van was out to beat the truck in lane changes. Its always the trucks fault, even if it was the car that stopped on a dime expecting you to as well.

Be safe out there!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why is it that the absolute worst seem to be in the lansing area?Is it the water,or what?

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
The worst drivers on the planet are in and around Columbus, OH. It never fails, every time I go through there I see several accidents at all times of the day, not just rush hour. I get cut-off almost every lane change I make. As soon I put on my signal, whoever is behind me in the lane I want to get into rushes up beside me, so I can't get over. It never fails. Drivers slam on their brakes at the slightest hint of a traffic slow-down. Slow-pokes hang out in the hammer lane. People change lanes without signaling. Tailgaters thrive. In construction zones, they all rush up to the end of the lane and then try to get over, tying up traffic as much as possible. It's really a noticeable difference from other parts of the country.

I love the Buckeye's (sorry Michigan expediters), but I'm glad to be in Cleveland. :D

Jeff

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
3... Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

the sad fact is this very thought has caused me to close the gaps during certain times of the day..michigan is defintatly very aggressive

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Sounds a lot like the drivers here in Austin, TX. Want a fun experience, come on down and drive a bus for a day. You will probably be cut off, told you are number one, and honked at more than a whole month out on the road, and that is just on your Deadhead to where you pick up the route. Makes me want to go back out on the road, anyone want to hire an experienced driver!!!

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
I was referring to driving a B unit (not even extended) in and through Columbus-not a straight truck!!! And I still get the rude treatment from other vehicles. It's an attitude thing I guess.

The best drivers I've seen, hands down, are anywhere in the state of New York. They are are extremely aggressive, but they know what they are doing and they're safe about it. They even slow down in construction zones like they should. And when there is a lane closing, they all get over early so that there is hardly any slowdowns. The only people you see running up to the end of the "ending lane" are people from other states. The one way streets in Manhattan flow like rivers with all of the taxi's diving in and out to the curbs. It really is amazing.:eek:

Jeff