Rookie Van Driver Questions

Davey1980

New Recruit
Driver
So I'm driving for a fleet owner cargo van. My average 10,000 mi per month. My average pay is between 19 cents and 28 cents per mile. I've been doing this for three months. Thinking of getting my own van.. is this a good idea?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
This is an old thread, but it might help some. This forum seems to be moribund this days, so the older threads might still be relevant

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my opinion, you don't have enough time in. But you have to do what's best for you. We are getting ready to come into the slow season in about a month and a half.....so keep that in mind.

Recommend you save up, and plan for at least the next few months. Then see where things are at regarding the market....

Reactions: blackpup

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is your arrangement with the owner that pay varies from 19cpm to 28cpm? At 70cpm with 60/40 split you would get 28cpm. I think 70cpm has become somewhat the norm. But 19cpm would mean only 48cpm paid for the load. Surely you aren't running loads for 48cpm? The owner pays fuel, etc. and you don't pay anything? What carrier is the van signed on with?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
..... Surely you aren't running loads for 48cpm?....
Leo you'd shake your head at how cheap a lot of freight moves now....even with the premium carriers.

This guy is likely the new breed of driver, is essentially an employee paid by the mile with no financial responsibility at all but is told to be an independent contractor (and usually unwittingly signs something that makes it his responsibility). If the IRS ever knocks on the door the whole thing folds up and opens next day under another name or identity. The "carriers" that do this are not what you would call 'rule followers'. Unmarked vans and shady shenanigans all 'round.....and CHEAP.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Leo you'd shake your head at how cheap a lot of freight moves now....even with the premium carriers.
I guess I got out at the right time. I don't make a lot editing but I enjoy it a lot and since the work is done from my recliner the expenses are zero. That's a lot better than where insurance etc. was headed. And with about 6k miles a year on my car those expenses are nothing compared to 80k or so miles a year in the van. I wasn't too happy when they dropped to 80cpm on van loads. I'm sure I'd be unhappier now.