Roadside Inspections and EOBR

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Last night, between the toll booth and tunnel on I95 south in Baltimore we were pulled over for a Level 1 roadside DOT inspection. (We passed of course):cool:
When the officer asked for our log books I told him that we were using electronic logs. He smiled and said, "Great". He made no attempt to view our logs and did not mention them again.
If the EOBR makes inspections go easier and keeps us from getting a violation due to a small mistake we could have made they may actually be useful.

moose

Veteran Expediter
question is, how long will it float ?
just like so many things in our Li'l industry, what will happens if them EOBR becomes mandated. ?
if all trucks used them, will you still get a free pass ???
do not forget, this is about money control and compliance, not safety.
one of OOIDA's points in it's respond to the FMCSA PRM :
" 70% of HOS violation involved 'form & manners' ,those violations will not eliminate a single accident ."

how long can that smiley officer hold his job without writing a single ticket ?
be careful what you wish for .there's a huge difference between a voluntary Elogs, and a mandated one.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have had one roadside inspection since our EOBR was installed. It was a Level 3. We passed. The officer was good natured but took more time looking at our electronic logs than any officer has taken looking at our paper logs on a Level 3. I think it was because he was curious about the device that was still new to him.

I would not expect a free pass from DOT inspectors on this and we must be careful about the details still. Will you remember to enter every new trip number on every trip? Do you know how to properly document a deadhead trip? What do you do when an entry error is made such that it can only be corrected by people in the office and they are gone for the weekend?

These EOBR's are not issue free and there are several ways for a picky DOT inspector to get you.