Retiring - What's my Sprinter Worth??

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
I'm planning to hang up my expediting spurs in another month or so, and will need to get rid my 2007 Dodge Sprinter Hi-top. Wondering what it's worth, if anything, since it has 480K on it. You might gasp at this, but I've been expediting with it since 120K and the only serious maint. problems I've had with it is a rear axle and - of course - the good old DPF. I replaced the original DPF with a new aftermarket unit a year ago - after drilling it out, thus no more troublesome regens. Everything works, looks great & decent Michelin tires. Wondering if it's worth more than a junkyard would offer?? Whaddya think??

Jim

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So with the dpf drilled is the check engine light always on so a person will never know of a problem? You might be able to find someone willing to pay five grand.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Overall all shape and accessories will help determine value, although 7 years old, 1/2 million miles, it won't add as much as in a newer one.
Good Luck...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine just traded in his sprinter, same year and almost same mileage and he was told it is worth only $1700. Of course he dealt with them and got a pretty good deal on a new promaster.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using EO Forums mobile app

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
Yup, engine check lite's always on. I have the codes checked every 10K miles at an authorized Sprinter dealer, where I have the oil changed. Nothing other than an intermittent EGR code & never causes a "limp mode" like the old DPF did. Engine still seems strong & doesn't use a drop of oil. I've used "Diesel Kleen" @ every fill-up since I've had it, and no injector pblms either. Guess I got a good one. I know it could be a ticking time-bomb, but it's probably got another 50K b4 it pukes!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A friend of mine just traded in his sprinter, same year and almost same mileage and he was told it is worth only $1700.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using EO Forums mobile app

I almost, jokingly, said 29 cents per pound.
That wouldn't have been that far off.

With the aluminum F-series pu, does anyone think the new Ford Van could be offered in aluminum ?
That would be very interesting ......

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I'll buy a sprinter that run for $2k all day and use that sucker for parts or back up something. Heck a camper lol

Deville

Not a Member
I'm confused. You drilled out the DPF bypassing the system, & have a CEL that won't go away? The truck won't pass inspection if it has a CEL, not in NYS. It's worth $1500 to me.

Where ya located?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a lot of states with no inspection.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
What's so confusing?? I never plan go to NY anyway - wouldn't take a load there for $2/mile! Sure, it's illegal - so is changing lanes without a signal, even if there's no one around for miles! Plenty of company out there - especially guys hauling their 5th wheels with both EGR and DPF deleted. The crap that comes out the exhaust during a regen is nauseating & toxic, and I'm really surprised there hasn't been a class action against the EPA in 2007 for forcing it's use with diesels.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Good luck I've got the same amount of mileage but bought it new and added a d2 espar and solar panels and looking to sell it soon too.

Deville

Not a Member
What's so confusing?? I never plan go to NY anyway - wouldn't take a load there for $2/mile! Sure, it's illegal - so is changing lanes without a signal, even if there's no one around for miles! Plenty of company out there - especially guys hauling their 5th wheels with both EGR and DPF deleted. The crap that comes out the exhaust during a regen is nauseating & toxic, and I'm really surprised there hasn't been a class action against the EPA in 2007 for forcing it's use with diesels.

I wish that there was an animated emocon that's shaking it's head.