Researching this business - P/T out of Los Angeles

pirate3

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi,
I am currently based in Los Angeles and thinking about putting a D class team rig on the road. I am in a strange type of situation and would appreciate any input from you veterans out there.

1)Is there any expedited freight coming out of Southern California, and are there any companies that cover this region?

2)I work in the film industry and in a perfect world would use this truck primarily for the film industry, with a modular design as far interior of box to suit film. The virtually no wear on the truck and money in both rentals and studio driver pay is too good to pass up. Unfortunately I am basing my business plan on working this truck for film at 26 weeks out of the year. That is why I am looking into other opportunities. Is there any chance of running expedited freight at say, 3 month intervals?

3)What kinds of terms are to be expected when signing on with a company? Do you call your own shot as to being available, and when?

My primary goal is to break even on the truck, and keep a couple of guys off of unemployment and be able to feed their families during the slow times in Hollywood.

Any help will be appreciated, and coming from a freight hauling family, you all have my respect and wishes for safety out there.

tomcar

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As you probably allready know it is hard to jump in and out of any business. This is a very competitive business, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Skyburner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have considered doing the same thing too, also PT taking weekend runs in a D unit.

I also work in television and film, seems to me an expediter rig would make a perfect grip truck huh?