Reputable truck dealerships

randb

Expert Expediter
Hello everyone!
My wife and I are getting into the expedite business and would like some opinions on truck dealerships and the best truck and condo set-up. We have talked to Alumi-Bunk and are currently talking to Freightliner of Knoxville. I realize this is somewhat of a general field of inquiry but I have read many forums on this and other web sites, so I feel quite confident many of you can lead us in the right direction as to who has a good product and stands behind it after the sale.
This is the first of what I hope to be many postings and a long relationship with all my soon to be friends in the expedite business.
-R and B

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My advice is to deal with reputable salespeople. There are two that are stand up guys. Jon Mosier at FL Knoxville and Fred Sargent at Performance Kenworth in Houston. They deliver what they tell you and don't blow any smoke. I can also tell you the sales manager in Houston, Danny Ortega, is another stand up guy. There are scores and scores of horror stories about various brands and dealers. There has never been a bad word said about these folks, at least that I've ever seen, and I've read and researched A LOT. Stick to either Fred or Jon (listed alphabetically) and you won't go wrong and you won't be unhappy. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
> This is the first of what I hope to be many postings and
>a long relationship with all my soon to be friends in the
>expedite business.
> -R and B

Welcome aboard!

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
I currently own 5 White Glove trucks,(reefer's,tags,lift gates,big sleepers etc.)These are very expensive units,and require much research on various purchase options and performance specs.
If your not going into a unit like this,and will not need all the extras,listen to the various opinions on this site.Very good advise offered at no cost.
However,if you are going into a W/Glove unit,your options are very limited.These trucks run $125,000.00 to $155,000.00
There are a very limited number of manufacture's,and price must be considered,as well as the experience of the builder.
Not everyone is agreement on this topic,so I only speak for myself.
I use Alumi Bunk for my units,but I am in constant contact with them during the manufactoring phase.I have also purchased my chasis in the states, directly from Freightliner, my local dealer(to my specs)and dropped shipped to Alumi Bunks factory.(I have bought from AB as well)
Although I have had problems(mostly as I was learning on the first 2)the 3 most recent trucks are good units,with no more problems then any othere trucks.
I also co manage a Fleet of 40 over the road trucks for United Van Lines,(my day job)so I have some experience.For what it's worth.
Good Luck!

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Hi R&B I see in your profile your from or in Petoskey, Gaylord has Kenworth , Hino dealer their mother Michigan Kenwoth, Hino in Grand Rapids, they service all brands best in Michigan. Kenworth in Grand Rapids was getting a Fl70 Freightliner in Friday on trade was used for expediting. Ken sales man said lots of people start in this model and work their way up, 300,000 miles app. Best of luck Tom Tinker:)

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
If you are interested in a Hino you should contact Churneys' Truck Center in Cleveland. We have been building Hino Expediters for some time now and will work with any sleeper maker. Get it built the way you want it built.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Don't buy a truck from a Mom & Pop car lot that just happens to have an expeditin' truck for sale. There is a lot more that goes into selling a commercial vehicle than there is when you are just selling cars and trucks. Even when you think you may be getting a great deal, the deal stops being so wonderful when your paperwork gets screwed up and you can't get a title, can't get plates, and end up paying on a truck that you can't run because of dealer inadequacy.

I've been around the block for a while now, and my best advice is this: There are a handful of dealers in the United States that SPECIALIZE in expediter trucks. There is a reason that not everybody sells them. If you stay with a big dealer that knows expediters you WILL land on your feet. You will get a truck that you can make money with - and the support of a dealer that has the means and network to stand behind you in problematic situations.

Stick with the Professionals when purchasing a commercial vehicle.

Good luck - Scott

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
In my experiences looking for a truck i found all fyda and select trucks way to expensive, they r simply over priced. Aluma bunk is good. I bought my truck from ellenbaun truck sales in Sebewing just outside of bay city. It was a nice experience and i would go back to John ellenbaum in a heart beat.

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
Beware: Read my complaint about International Corp. and who I bought this vehicle from before making a decision.

Check out this Web site and look at the recalls that were done.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

I hope that after you have read this you will think twice. We have lost thousands of dollars because of downtime on an engine that was brand new. Think......

M.L. Atwell Trucking
Mary Linda Atwell
XXXX XXXXXX Avenue
XXXXXXX, MO 63109
(314)-609-3101
March 8, 2006

Customer Service Engineer (CSE)
Senior Administrator
International Corporation
4201 Winfield Road
P.O. Box 1488
Warrenville, IL 60555
(630)-753-5000

Dear Customer Service Engineer:

On February 28, 2006, I had my 2004 International 4400 (Vin # 1HTMKAAN24H592264) towed to Westrux International, located in Santa Fe Springs, CA, to be repaired. The vehicle had water coming out of the blow by tube (crankcase ventilation). This was noticed after driving the vehicle a mile down the road after stopping for a coffee. I immediately stopped the engine and called a tow truck. After a diagnosis to what was wrong with my truck, I was told that I would get help from International Corporation because of a premature O-ring failure on cylinder number 4. My truck has never overheated nor has ever been under maximum load capacity. In fact, my truck is registered for 26,000 pounds even though the manufacturer says that it can handle up to 33,000 pounds. I have a very clean truck, and I have taken extreme care of this vehicle. Westrux deemed it necessary to overhaul my engine despite my engine only has 219, 987 on it. This was because when the O-ring failed it emptied my radiator’s antifreeze fluid into the crankcase. This O-ring failure was not due to misuse of equipment because of overheating, cryogenics, chemical degradation, cavitations, etc. The head mechanic, Hector, assured me that he was convinced that this was a manufacturer defect. I feel very strongly that I should not have been out of any money seeing that I bought this truck brand new, and I had no control over manufacturing this engine. I understand that Quality Control has done numerous tests on different types of O-rings under different conditions because of the 2004 Federal Emissions Requirements and the need to be in compliance with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I also know that International understands that it needs to act not only socially responsible for the products that it creates, but also ethically and timely when a complaint is made. I made this purchase at Alumibunk in Woodhaven, MI in February of 2004. The truck when purchased displayed only 11 miles, but had over 2000 hours of operation registered on the display. When questioned on whether this engine was used for government testing or International testing we were told that this was a brand new engine and it had never been tested just ran on a Dyno.

Unfortunately, your product has not performed well because this engine should have never failed this soon. Also, I feel that when International recalled my truck because of a software issue that the warranty should have restarted or I should have been extended an additional warranty because running the wrong software on this engine could have precipitated or caused the problem at hand. When the service department flashed my ECM with the correct software version, my mileage on my truck nearly doubled which means that when I purchased the vehicle it did not have 11 miles on it as well as the vehicle’s price was inflated because of inaccurate odometer reading. This was unethical and if I would have known, the engine had more miles on it than what was displayed I might have not purchased this vehicle. The fact that your technicians uploaded the wrong software version when I purchased this vehicle should be enough to hold International accountable. Running the wrong software for this engine could have done more damage than just an O-ring. The engine was not operating under the specs designed by the engineers. The software operates many facets of the engine’s operation, any of which could have contributed to the problem for which I am requesting retribution.

Therefore, to resolve the problem, I would appreciate your reimbursement for all associated costs. This includes the following: tow bill, hotel stays, car rental, labor cost, and lost time. I will send copies (copies, not originals) of my records (receipts, warranties, cancelled checks, contracts, model and serial numbers, and any other documents) upon request.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem. I will wait 48 hours before seeking third-party assistance. Please contact me at the above address or by phone. If I do not get a satisfactory resolution I will have no other recourse but to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), my state’s attorney general, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, etc. I feel I have given International Corporation every opportunity to make this situation right, but at this point I am getting annoyed by the shuffling of responsibility. I hope that you will work with me on this matter. International advertises that the DT466 engine is reliable, durable, low downtime, and minimal maintenance. I have not had the opportunity to enjoy any of these advantages. I, as a dissatisfied customer, was mislead not only by the research that I did prior to the purchase of the vehicle, but also by the false odometer reading. Altering the odometer is covered under Article 49 U.S.C. 32710 despite the fact that commercial dealers are allowed to stamp exempt on the title because the vehicle is over 16,000 pounds. When the vehicle’s mileage is altered by the manufacturer this voids the original contract. The customer has a right to know the actual mileage at the time of purchase not a year later when there is a recall and possibly damage done to the engine because of negligence on behalf of the manufacturer.

Sincerely,

Mary Atwell
President, M.L. Atwell Trucking
(314)-609-3101