Replacing side doors on a Ford CV

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I've got a '98 Ford CV and the side doors are rusting out. *(They're not original doors) Has anybody ever attempted to replace van doors and if so how big of a project am I looking at, or would it be smart to find the doors in a junk yard and have a friend who does body work do it for me. The original doors were damaged when the van got sideswiped in a parking garage some years back.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I've got a '98 Ford CV and the side doors are rusting out. *(They're not original doors) Has anybody ever attempted to replace van doors and if so how big of a project am I looking at, or would it be smart to find the doors in a junk yard and have a friend who does body work do it for me. The original doors were damaged when the van got sideswiped in a parking garage some years back.

go to the junk yard, doors are 150 t0 300 bucks, paint , primer, clearcoat, sandpaper,filler should run 250 bucks, labor is what ur friend will charge, just went thru this on my dodge. Its the cheapest rroute.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Junk yard is the place to go . Take your V I N number with you because the junk yard can take the paint code and get you MATCHED doors to yours, NO painting needed, i 've done this on a couple of cars i've fixed up for my kids. Just had body shop mount doors to ensure good seals.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
This works. I've done it myself....turned out great!

Junk yard is the place to go . Take your V I N number with you because the junk yard can take the paint code and get you MATCHED doors to yours, NO painting needed, i 've done this on a couple of cars i've fixed up for my kids. Just had body shop mount doors to ensure good seals.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
However, i'd consider replacing the complete lower hinge assembly as the fasteners are easier to access. And there does not appear to be an effective way to repair the detent mechanism which is almost always wornout by the time the hingepin bushings fail.