REMOVAL OF MY POST

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I will respond at a later date when time permits in regards to the removal of my post listing numerous expediting companies, many which I am sure are unknown, which I thought would have been a great benefit to drivers trying to make a living.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm not really sure myself why that was removed- I didn't see any harm in it. Perhaps an explaination is in order?
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I did not see the posting, but I have a theory about why it would be removed. First, we have individually commented on various expediting companies - both positively as well as negatively. These comments have been left on the web site.

However, when you start listing information about numerous companies the situation changes. On this web site a lot of companies pay for the right to advertise. Otherwise they could just keep posting information about themselves in the chat areas. We would then be overwhelmed by unpaid advertising. To allow a posting of a list of all the companies would probably cause a problem with the paid advertisers. The bottom line is, - its probably about money and staying in business.

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
Looks like we're in trouble again!

Before we get to the point of being accused
of stifling free speech and denying access to
information that could benefit expediters,
we'll give you our perspective and our reasoning.

The Internet is a different kind of ball game
with a new set of protocols and procedures.
Posting links to other web sites is a "traditional"
way of disseminating information on the Internet -
one which we've all become accustomed to.

It does get tricky though, when links are posted
in our forum to a business competitor's Internet
location. Just as the expedited carrier to whom
you're leased would probably not sanction another
carrier's name or logo on your truck, we don't
think it's unreasonable to follow similar business
guidelines for Expediters Online.com's Forums.
There are a number of similar analogies in regards
to competitors' "cross-advertising;" we hope this
one illustrates the point.

If "TR" had chosen to compile his own list of
carriers and post that list, that would have
posed no problem. Company names and contact
information are in the public domain, and presenting
those companies on our Forum is acceptable to us.

We're sure that "TR" had no ulterior motives in
posting the link; he was just trying to
pass along some alternative companies that
owner/operators and drivers might want to check on.

After the link was deleted, we contacted "TR"
through the private message feature and explained
our reasoning behind the deletion and said that
we hoped he understood why we did this. He chose
instead, to continue the discussion on the Forums,
and that's why we're responding here.

During the years that the Forums have been available
to our expediting visitors, we've been fortunate
that we've had less than a handful of instances where
a judgement call was necessary regarding a post.
Sometimes it might prove to be an unpopular decision,
but we're sure that you've had to make similar calls
in your business life.

We'd like to thank all of you for your support of
Expediters Online.com and it's Forums!

Jeff Jensen
Editor

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I DON'T BUY IT, BUT THAT IS THE P/C ANSWER. I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ASAMED OF YOURSELF, WHAT GOES AROUND WILL COME AROUND. WITH THE YEAR MANY DRIVERS ARE HAVING, IT WOULD BE NICE IF WE COULD ALL PULL TOGETHER AND HELP EACHOTHER OUT, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE WE CAN'T, AT LEAST NOT HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Paperback1: I am a driver like yourself. I have no investment in Expediters Online.com other than my interest in the expediting industry. I am also a small business owner (seperate from the expediting business)and often have to make unpopular decisions. I really do not have any difficulty understanding the removal of the post. If you want to send that information to drivers, let them e-mail you direct and you can then send it to them. As a matter of fact - feel free to send a copy to me.

Thanks, and drive safe.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your explaination makes sense on a corporate BS level, but what about the regular O/O's who make and have made expediting happen? Without US, there wouldn't be any big paying expedite advetisers. If this is all about money and attitude, count me out!
Sincerely,
WEAVE

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave: I agree with you in part. It is corporate B/S and maybe they should change their policy. I have always believed that if you are going to criticize someone that you should also offer alternatives.
The people that run this web site have to make a profit, just like those of us that own trucks - they have families to support and bills to pay. (Neither the web site, nor you or I truely know who is posting on this site. Companies could begin tooting their own horn and do it under a driver's name or some other manner.) If the web site allowed this, the paying advertisers would start objecting and also want free advertising. To make up for the lost revenues the web site could consider charging us - the end users. How many drivers do you know that would be willing to pay to keep this web site up?? I do not know any, including myself!

If someone wants to send information to all the drivers - they can state so in a message and let the drivers know where they can e-mail for a copy of the information. I believe that is the way to correctly use a web site like this. We don't need to put Lawrence and the others in the middle. We need this site to help others and to get help for ourselves.

Drive Safe.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
TR's post was removed for simply one reason - it went to a competitors web site.

This is not about censorship or free speech, take a look at our forum it's full of opinion and dissent.

I have said this before and I will repeat it again, before we accept any sponsor to the site we make sure that they understand that we have a very active and vocal drivers discussion board. Sometimes, they may be a subject of a post. It comes with the territory.

EO was started by expediters and continues to be operated by expediters, some who have over 10 years in the business. In expediting - that is a long time.

Thank you everyone for your opinions on this topic.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI tr,
If you think that a list of Expediting Companies will help the drivers on this site, make a better living, then why not gather their info and make a list of your own without posting an attachment directing posters to the competitions URL:. From my understanding, no one is complaining about the Expediting Companies, the gripe is about the competitions site.

Personally I belive this site is a very good expediter site, and is full of some of the best information around. This site is very strong and has a hell of a lot of supporters, that aren't going anywhere. Take a look at some of the forums on other sites, to me they are a JOKE!!!!!

I can understand EO's gripe, and I would have done the same if it was may site. If any one of you that don't quite understand ---- WELL, it would be like you doing your deliveries, with my name on your trucks.

prescat

Expert Expediter
Give the guys at E.O. a break. They provide a nice (and free to the rank and file) service to this niche industry. (and by the way, I'm just a normal one-truck contractor with no vested interest and absolutely no ties to the guys at E.O.) First of all, free speech always has limits. When it infringes or slanders others, or creates a dangerous situation it can be banned publicly. An entirely different circumstance applies to "the private sector". Unless it's a government regulated industry, the rules don't necessarily apply. It appears to me that E.O. is very generous in allowing almost anything into their open forum. Currently their are many posts, positive and NEGATIVE, about all the companies that advertise on here. However, EO IS a business and has every right to protect it's corporate self interest. Not to beat a dead horse, but Teacel is right on the money. If I'm a Pepsi distributor, and I'm paying a driver to deliver and stock shelves at the local "C" store, he better not be out in public doing it with an open coke in his hand.

newthead

Expert Expediter
I for one think this site has provided invaluable expediting information! This is a classy, professional place to learn. Keep up the great work!

Newthead

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Guys, it's time to lighten up on EO, this is a good "communications site". First I wish to clarify why I posted in the open. Once I read my private e-mail I shut down the computer. When I came back on to reply to the email, the link at the top of the page was gone so therefore I made another post on the forum. I just got in tonight and there were a few emails thru EO, I once again shut the computer down and came back later on and the "private emails were gone and I could not repspond to them. Maybe someone can tell me how to get back into that part of the forum. In the meantime my apoligies to Lawrence as he has worked hard to get this site where it is. So guys, gals and who ever else, let's lighten up. If I have a good tip, or if I think it is a good tip, I'll just have you email me if it appears that the information is beneficial to you. In the mean time let's just get on with the new news and keep posting ideas on how to help other drivers... and you will find it here.
See ya on the road and remember "You'll always be 13 miles from somewhere"

;-) ;-) ;-)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
tr,
Once you are on the EO site, make sure you are logged in, then click on the open forum link at the top of the page. At the top right you will see that you are logged in, to the left of that you will see the words -- user menu, click on that link and that will take you into your menu. Below the wide blue line that will read tr's user menu, to the left you will se the link to your inbox. Click on your inbox and you will be able to read the messages. Hope this will help.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
TR,

Just wanted to thank you and everyone else for your posts and support of this site.

I agree - let's move on ward and upward!