relocation, where to?

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
Are there any 'better' areas to live for expedited freight? I work in the OTR industry currently in management, but am looking down the road a couple of years, where I won't want to be in the office forever. My fiancee and I would like to relocate preferably in the southeast, but really, it will be somewhere 'warmer' than Central NY. Are there freight 'lanes' which have more loads available?

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
No way.Charlotte,North Carlina - Are you serious?I thought IL MI Chicago all the surounding states was the place to be.I would love to run out of N.C. Very nice area.May I ask what kind of frieght?And very important- with what company??Thanks Jimbo

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Middle Tennessee -- near Nashville -- in a surrounding county -- because real estate in Nashville is very expensive.
Or many parts of Ohio or Indiana -- outside the major cities.
Or southern or central Michigan -- outside Detroit.
There are many very desirable towns in all those areas, and all those areas offer much expedited cargo.
Keep us posted on your plans.
Doc.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking at Johnson City, myself, because of the mountains (though it's only just east of Knoxville). But a great place would be the Knoxville area as I-75 and I-40 run thru, and it's a major corridor for freight. I like Chattanooga also, as it's right smack in the middle of Knoxville and Atlanta. Anything east of there is getting out of the "middle" of the zone for most companies, and west of that is over the Mississippi River which is not the greatest for expedited freight. Another good place would be Lexington, KY. Major hubs all the way around it... Louisville, Knoxville, Cincinnati. Louisville is good as you have Cinci, Nashville, and Indianapolis close by... but in my opinion, it's not close enough to the I-75 corridor. Cinci is another good one if you don't mind coming that far north... although the traffic stinks :p

T-hawk

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Well first of all NB said he would like to relocate to the SOUTHEAST,
Il, In, Oh, and Mi. don't fall into that catagory LOL. Also I suggested Charlotte N.C. because I have never failed to get a load out of there. You also need to remember it doesn't matter where you live as long as you can at least get a load out of your area to get you started, because as we all know you won't be home everynight.
I live in Mi. just outside of Flint. 20 miles from Saginaw, 50 miles from Lansing, 20 from Lapeer, 60 from Detroit, You would think I'd have my pick LOL, but that isn't always the case. There are times when I wouldn't even get a load offer for a couple of days.
I'd suggest living somewhere you would be comfortable and enjoy living so when you do get home you can relax and enjoy yourself.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Yes, Ned did say "preferably" to the Southeast.
I too saw that the first time.
Middle Tennessee is undeniably in the Southeast.
"Preferably" implies that Ned did not exclude an area other than the Southeast.
After suggesting Middle Tennessee, I also mentioned another attractive area -- although it's not in the Southeast.
All those are desirable places with relatively moderate climate.
If an expediter lives in any of those places, it's easy to go home for some time off, and it's easy to restart back at work.
Of course, I speak from the viewpoint of one who usually stays out several (6-8) weeks at a time.
Best wishes to Ned and his lady,
Doc.

jlipps

Expert Expediter
Well hawk Just move on down here but i must warn you its been raining for ever maybe the sun will come out again

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Yes middle Tennessee is in the southeast and a very beautiful area too I might add. I wouldn't mind living there myself. Also just a note, thursday I got a run in the Charlotte area bringing me home to Mi. 3 miles from my home, can't ask for more then that. This morning picking up 14 miles from the house going to Lebanon,Ky. See you all in a couple of weeks.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Ned
I have a driver who lives near Charlestown,SC... about as South East as you can get... plenty of freight for vans, c and D units out of that area.
Anywhere around that area should provide a moderate climate and allow you to re-enter without much delay.
That would be my choice

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all who have replied, and may continue to do so.
If it were just me I'd pick somewhere around Knoxville, I've heard good things about Marysville in particular, as well as Johnson city. An alternative would be just west of Asheville. I've travelled extensively and have a pretty good handle on areas I would like to avoid. Ie, metro atlanta, metro Memphis. Nashville is quite attractive as well.
I could easily handle most places in Ohio or Indiana were it just me. With the LOML in the picture I'm looking southeast as a starting point.

As for truck, I'm open to anything, I have my CDL-A with all endorsements including Hazmat. I would be just as comfortable in a D unit, but the sprinter and a good lane are looking mighty attractive as well, more from a mileage perspective. That is a whole other topic of research and planning of course, and by the time I get around to this change, no doubt there will be other newer units to consider as well.

Ned

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
NB... just to let you know... the difference in Asheville and Johnson City are night and day as far as cost of living. Mountain property is probably 10 times as much once you cross the border into NC. Johnson City has one of the lowest cost of living rates in the US. Not trying to talk you into one or the other, just letting you know ;)
I found out by using a relocator on monster.com, so you can do your own homework. I live near Detroit, and the relocator says there's an avg of 30 more sunny days per year in J.C. than in Detroit. No wonder I'm depressed :7

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
I plan on relocating to Freightliner FL80.I think this will be the best home for expediting.Near all lanes period.I don't see any choice.On the flip side I hope to see the wife at the city apartment once in a while??Jimbo