Recruiters, why should I sign my D unit with your

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will be picking up a 2005 Sterling D unit with a 22' box in about 10 days. Just like everyone else I am looking for miles and money. I plan to go out for 3 to 4 weeks at a time between home times and am not afraid to run miles. I would like to do at least 10,000 loaded/paid miles a month. I would like to stay below 15% dh miles, not counting any personal dh miles.

Recruiters, sell me on your company, with fact not fiction.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
RE: Recruiters, why should I sign my D unit with y

LDB,
Good Luck! First of all I would assume you would be running single with those figures? Realistically, your close, but you will do more deadhead than 15%. Deadhead is usually closer to 30%. Check with the companies you are talking with to find out what they pay for deadhead. As far as 10,000 loaded miles/mo, your close there, but remember expedite is not about miles. Expedite is about bottom line and how much money you made monthly without spending a lot. Less miles, less fuel cost, less maintanence with high rates usually means better bottom line.

Hope this helps,

ABC

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I'm trying to get away from the miles = everything viewpoint but having been in a semi where it's all cpm it's a challenge. I agree that it's better to run 1600 for $1.50 each than to run 3000 for .50 each. I just listed those figures because that's where I'd like to be. I expect to be more in the 9k a month range and 20% dh if I'm very careful and more if I'm not so careful. I'm looking at options to increase the revenue side like adding a lift axle so I can scale more weight. I've got one prospect that pays semi .50cpm more than D unit and will give a D unit a semi load if they can scale it legally and are the nearest next available unit. That could turn into a few bonanzas a year. Anyway, I'm going to give it my best and keep my learning/thinking cap on and absorb all I can.

PeachyPoo

Expert Expediter

HotFr8Recruiter, I am under the assumption that PTL works like the other expediting companies. They charge a premium for their services. How often are your D units receiving the 1.30 a mile? How often are they pulling a Van load? How often are they pulling a C load?
When they end up pulling a B or C load are they still getting the 1.30 a mile?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

LDB I think you are going to find those semi loads for a D truck are rare. E Truck drivers haul a lot of D loads,D trucks carry 75% C loads.
The idea that bigger is better will allways persist in this industry.
If on the other hand money,payments,expenses are no object,then why not go for bigger.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I know it's only worth the screen it displays on but the operations people tell me they would use me for an E size load about once a month and sometimes twice a month because they are not overstocked with trucks. I realize it would be a matter of right place right time and I was actually figuring on 4 to 6 times a year. If it did turn into 10 to 12 a year that's all the better. I still don't know if I'm going with them or one of the others on my short list. Since I pick up the truck Friday and have to drive to orientation for Monday I have to choose soon. At least they're all in the same general direction so I can even drive about half way before having to decide which fork in the road.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter

Redytrk - you say "D trucks carry 75% C loads." Maybe that is the case with the company you are with now, but if that happened to me I'd be looking for another company. I was an owner/operator of a D truck long before I became a recruiter. I recruit for Express-1 Out of Buchanan, MI and I love what I do here. I drove for this company in my own equipment and was extremely satisfied with how I was treated and with my revenue. In fact, I'd still be with them in an O/O capacity if it were not for some non trucking related physical issues I'm dealing with. My Trucking days are over, but I feel that I am lucky to have this opportunity to share my good fortune with others. Newbies read this forum, and to tell them that their D truck will carry mostly C loads is just plain misinformation. I'm not just the guy that gets paid to tell you what you want to hear. I've walked the walk - and I'll tell you that if you are hauling 75% C loads in your D truck - you are getting hosed. Thanks - X

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter

FJK - all the details are on our website, www.express-1.com. This forum really isn't the place to talk about specific details, so feel free to give me a call and I'll answer any questions you may have. Thanks - X (Scott)