Really?????

Lucy B

Seasoned Expediter
So, here's a business proposition....Put yourself on the hook for $200,00 plus for a truck and risk being thrown off the team if you get a ticket for DRIVING WITHOUT A SEATBELT!!!!! Who could resist?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't blame them, they need to get that under control.

I actually laughed at it. For years people would get pulled over and bargain it down to a seatbelt.
I actually wondered if that is why we have so many seatbelt violations.

And I wondered how many people not paying attention we still ASK for a seatbelt ticket.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
As a union driver I refused to drive a truck with a seatbelt issue.
It had a belt but I was irritated that the company was making no effort to correct whatever it was that bothered me.
As I walked to punchout, motorcycle helmet in hand, the dispatcher came to discuss things one more time.
When he asked "Do you wear a seatbelt on the scooter ?" he had me.
I said I would drive the truck today if repairs were scheduled tomorrow
Another union negotiation where everyone walked away happy. .

Note: I had finished my scheduled shift and was asked to drive the spare truck on OT.
I was willing to miss the OT to make a point. A spare truck needs to be as safe/ legal as my assigned truck.

Last edited:

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Zorry, I think you missed the point Lucy was trying to make. It isn't that the company needs to "get this under control." It is that they are completely removing drivers from the company for targeted things they determined to be more serious or controlled than other things. So, not only does a driver get points off his/her CDL for a ticket but also they are no longer able to drive for FDCC. Once you are out for a year you might as well go to work for Starbucks or something.

So, for example, if an agent sends me a CLink msg asking what my current temp reading is (and they do this VERY often) and I am in heavy traffic in the Pocono Mountains and have to look down to read the temps AND respond to the agent, I could be ticketed for distracted driving and dismissed from FDCC for a year!

For some strange reason the Safety Dept doesn't consider this a concern. They think it is perfectly fine for agents to distract us while driving. But we had better not get a ticket for it because then we are out the door!

As my little grandson says, "This seems really harsh!"

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
So, here's a business proposition....Put yourself on the hook for $200,00 plus for a truck and risk being thrown off the team if you get a ticket for DRIVING WITHOUT A SEATBELT!!!!! Who could resist?

Yea I have been thinking the same thing when I read about the 3 things that will get you 'a year off' Seat belt ticket, 11 MPH over speed limit, and cell phone use ticket. Now I don't want to sound like these are things that should not be taken seriously, BUT as EVERYBODY knows how easy it could be to get these type of tickets by some over zealous cop.
How many people would make an investment in a business of ANY KIND with those type of stipulations.
Think about it. You are thinking about investing in a gym franchise but in the agreement they tell you that they will pull your franchise if the health department comes in and you get a fine for having a dirty shower, burned out lights or something else.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
Zorry, I think you missed the point Lucy was trying to make. It isn't that the company needs to "get this under control." It is that they are completely removing drivers from the company for targeted things they determined to be more serious or controlled than other things. So, not only does a driver get points off his/her CDL for a ticket but also they are no longer able to drive for FDCC. Once you are out for a year you might as well go to work for Starbucks or something.

So, for example, if an agent sends me a CLink msg asking what my current temp reading is (and they do this VERY often) and I am in heavy traffic in the Pocono Mountains and have to look down to read the temps AND respond to the agent, I could be ticketed for distracted driving and dismissed from FDCC for a year!

For some strange reason the Safety Dept doesn't consider this a concern. They think it is perfectly fine for agents to distract us while driving. But we had better not get a ticket for it because then we are out the door!

As my little grandson says, "This seems really harsh!"

Yea I have often wondered who they think responds to the c-link while the truck is running down the road. Do you wake up your co driver or violate company policy and use the c-link.
To get a temp reading we actually have to stop the truck and get readings from the unit or the Ameriscan. I got a call from an agent 20 minutes after we left the pickup in Memphis and wanted a temp reading NOW! I told her did she she want me to pull over on the side of the road on I-240 or could it wait till I got to West Memphis. I was told to pull off the side of the road. DUMB!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Surprisingly I am leaning more towards the company side on this.
1st, there is no excuse for not wearing a seat belt. (Years ago I was in a car accident, not wearing a seat belt, and ended up on the hood of the car).
2nd, Speeding 11 mph over is kinda fast.
3rd, People using cell phones scare the heck out of me. All you have to do is program the driver in motion number into your phone and use your hands free device to call in. I have never had a dispatcher demand that I send info over the c link while in motion.
Also, pulling over on the side of the road is very dangerous. Landstar will terminate a BCO if caught doing that. The call it the sitting duck rule. They will also terminate a BCO that has an at fault accident within their first year.
Every company has it's rules and we agree to them in our contract. (We just read and signed the new one) No one forced us to sign it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I fully understand.
The seat belt and 11 mph are under the driver's control. No reason for it.
The temp thing is tougher.
Tell the agent they are not getting temps until you can pull over safely. That is your only option. They will wait wether they like it or not !

If I drove a truck that had an ameriscan that could not be read safely from the driver's seat, I would insist that it was moved asap.
With the new rules, I would even ask Fedex to pay for this improvement. It's their equipment which needs to be where you can operate it safely and legally.

Getting pulled into every scale in Ca is tied into these issues. It can only get worse if Fedex doesn't get these issues under control.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
zorry;639959 Getting pulled into every scale in Ca is tied into these issues. It can only get worse if Fedex doesn't get these issues under control.[/QUOTE said:
Another reason to not upgrade to a CA compliant truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Had a level one in Ca in April.
Another level one in Ca yesterday.
I think that's the first time in my life I've had two Level 1's in a 6 month period.

Passed both. If they look often enough..... :(

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I'm afraid it'll spread to other states.

I am wondering about TN... Everytime through there starting two weeks ago, red lighted everytime, even at the closed ones.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am wondering about TN... Everytime through there starting two weeks ago, red lighted everytime, even at the closed ones.

Did you pay your prepass bill?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Did you pay your prepass bill?

Its been working everywhere else. Worked after I posted this in two different states. Maybe I'm just that lucky number

Last edited:

Deville

Not a Member
The wording is very vauge. It doesn't addesses if this policy is limited to commercial vehicles or does it extend to driving a personal vehicle as well.

IMO FEDEX is setting itself up for another class action lawsuit.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Any of the violations are breaking the law.
That in itself may be subject to lease termination.
So they're cutting you some slack. You can keep the truck on. Just put a more responsible driver in it.

Where's the problem ?

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
...Every company has it's rules and we agree to them in our contract. (We just read and signed the new one) No one forced us to sign it.

We just sent our new lease agreements in. No one forced us to sign either. Although I do not like or appreciate these numerous changes sent without warning or input... that is just how it is.

Either you accept the new contract or you decide to go elsewhere.

To be honest, I was more upset by the required navy colored pants. I just bought new black Dickie pants for Artwork loads last month...:)