Reality questions about expiditing from newbie

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for reading and helping me with my questions. I will be starting school soon for my CDL A and am very interested in getting into expiditing. I have an excellent driving record, Home time not a big issue (except for Thanksgiving, Christmas eve/day), excellent shape/health/appearance. Here is the "but" that always seems to follow, I love to lift weights and am wondering how realistic it is for me to get to a gym regularly while on the road (3-5 X a week)? This really is my only speedbump in the road? Additionally what are the pros/cons pay included, between driving fot the big OTR companies Vs. driving straight truck expiditing? Lastly are there any companies you can recommend for a newbie with CDL and great driving record who lives in Chicago area? I really appreciate any help and advice. I would be a company/fleet driver and not an O/O if that makes any difference in your advice.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Driverdog;

First, good luck with CDL school.

Working out 3 to 5 times a week should not be a problem while driving an expedite truck. Do not plan on any regimented routine or schedule for the workouts. You will most likely learn to workout with a cell phone attached to your gym shorts, and learn that when the phone rings with a load you will be hitting the showers quickly, then rushing to pick up the load. I've had a few drivers over the years that did the same.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your response. It defenitely helps to know that it is possible and has been done. That is a BIG factor in making my decision. It seems expidite might be more suited for me than traditional OTR. Are most of your layovers waiting for loads in urban or rural areas? (many gyms in urban areas are open either early,late, or 24hrs and that also helps). Of course I would only be stopping at gyms nearby or on the way and not driving miles and miles to get to one. Any recommended Chicago based expidite companies? I want to sincerely thank you again for responding to my question. It makes me feel much better. All OTR companies told me for most part its not possible with them. Obviously the 53" trailer would be a big hinderance when pulling into a parking lot.