RE Occupational Hazard Ins.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Does Social Security, Medicare and a Medicare supplement satisfy a requirement for Occupational Hazard / Workmans Comp. insurance? Thanks in advance.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Does Social Security, Medicare and a Medicare supplement satisfy a requirement for Occupational Hazard / Workmans Comp. insurance? Thanks in advance.

I'm not a recruiter,but to your question,tyhe answer is know.The occ ins is similar to workmans comp

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Nightcreature. Thankyou for your response. The way I have this question worded makes it unclear just what information I'm seeking, so, I'll re-phrase it.
If I receive a social security check, have medicare and a medicare supplement, do I still have to purchase workmans comp or occupational hazzard insurance?
Maybe some senior citizen expediters will share their wisdom on this subject.
Thanks in Advance, Jim

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Jim, I have a pension and health insurance and they still require me to have occupational insurance. I believe the problem comes in that my health insurance may not pay for a work related accident. I worked for a smaller company that didnt require me to carry occupatonal insurance but i think most bigger companies will. That and i think some companies have had drivers get hurt on the job, they didnt have occupational and sued the company.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Thankyou oilerman.
A lady with medicare told me medicare doesn't cover work related accidents. But, if you broke your leg I don't think any-
one asks where you were when you broke it. I suppose it is best to be legitmate and purchase occupational hazzard insurance. It just seems odd that the O/O must cover the shipper or consignee for possible negligence by them. Of course the O/O is also covering himself (herself). I'm not interested in suing anyone. Just looking for ways to cut costs. Hopefully, the buyer will never need it. Thanks again, Jim

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Jim, my insurance does ask, guess i cld lie but i wld worry that they might find out the truth.Like i said, i worked for a smaller carrier that didnt require it but i feel a lil safer now that i have it