Canada RE:Many Canadian Truckers Rejected for FAST Progra

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This article states as high as 75% rejection rate for Canadian Drivers to date!

All you Canadian drivers here at this forum anyone been rejected?

JuJu and I are half way there, we now need to make an appointment to be fingerpainted and interviewed with the FBI aka Federal Band of Idiots.

The CDRP system would have worked just fine and does with CSA customers I fly right thru Can. Customs, adding the U.S to the equation would have been great. But the U.S.C.S had to stick their 2 cents worth in and start a NEW and IMPROVED system ( made in U.S) that still basically relies on the same old custom officials and brokers.

As one U.S Custom guy told to me, F.A.S.T. will work as fast as THEY want it to be! bottom line. JOB PROTECTION
Ever been going thru at a slow time like a Saturday evening or Sunday morning?
They make a back-up out of 6 trucks as they check out EVERYTHING!
Don't get me wrong I understand about the need to be secure and the need to fix a problem at crossings but I just can't see this working-out.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The so called FAST System was not set up by the US or Canada but by the usual big 3 Automakers, when they found out that their freight could be delayed by security checks on both sides of the border,they demanded expedited services through customs and as usual what they want they get. Many of the local guys go back and forth 2-3 times a day at Windsor so to keep them productive they need to get them through as rapidly as possible. Sure it makes money for both Countries by charging the drivers $50.00 and the shippers something to become Fast shippers but I am not going to spend $50. to go through quicker.My CDRP works fine for me. I agree that both the FBI and the RCMP sure have their share of incompetents.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rich..Did you see my post about Jim Bunting?

He's returned to his old job at GM as he was laid off and got recalled.

P.S. I stand corrected about who started things, goes to show who's really running things.

Also my hats off to Tri-State to cut ties with GM if thats whats happened, more haulers should IF they could do the same to all 3!
Dynamex about 3 years ago started focusing sales on non auto for just that reason. It seems to have paid off.

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tri-State is making it manditory for all of their contractors to have the new FAST card, according the letter I received, all contractors must have the new card by early 2004.

NLMI controls just about all automotive freight for the "BIG 3", which means ANYONE who is a registered carrier with NLMI and is "connected" to NLMI'S system can bid on any loads. Therefore no one company can claim to have the "account" of any of the "BIG 3".

Also IMHO (in my honest opinion) I feel this is what has happened to the freight rates. There is a bidding war on EVERY load made available by NLMI. The little guys (small Ma and Pa companies) bid the loads low.

The little guys can afford to do so because the have very little office overhead.( I personally know of one such "company", their "office" consists of a small room off of a garage in their home.)

Now how are any of the 5-Star companys with large overheads supposed to "compete" with that? If your company is using NLMI for loads, go talk to your recruiter,or resolutions department and ask just how the "system" works and how your company "rates".(The higher your "rating" the better loads your company can bid on.)

The only thing I see as the saving grace of all of this is the new HOS going into effect January 2004, maybe then things will even out.

JJ

:)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ontario Van Man,Thanks I did see your message a couple of weeks ago about Jim Bunting. Glad to heat that He is doing Ok.I met Jim a couple of years ago at the Louisville show plus did a lot of E mails back and forth. My humble opinion, He is a nice guy,anyone who does quality control tasting on beverages made by Molson is a decent well rounded man who knows where his main priorities are.