RE: Front Spindles

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok you wizards! *lol*

Problem...On my 3rd set of INSIDE bearings, they are lasting about 6-7,000 miles The bearings themselves are wearing in the inside corners of the bearing themselves until they completely fail.

SO FAR: changed EVERYTHING! except the spindles... they look good not scored or scrapped to the naked eye.

QUESTION: Is it possible the spindles are worn out? bent or out of round? Has anyone encountered something like this?

99 Ram Van 2500 series with a 1 ton upgrade 8 bolt system.

Oh yeah, mileage 680,000 kilometers approx. Lots of Detroit and Montreal miles!

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
When replacing bearings always replace the race, as they are a matched set. Also setting bearing load is critical. Use the manufacturers specs. Good luck.

D Green

Expert Expediter
had the same problem with a Ford. Compared the shoulder of a new spindle (at the parts house) against the one from the truck, there was only a .007 (7/1000) wear, but it would sure eat up the inner bearing, starting on the truck side of the bearing.

New spindle cured the problem.

FWIW

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
DGreen...Yup Thats exactly it...They took out the spindle yesterday and examined it on the bench. The shoulder was worn and that was causing the inner bearing to get ripped out...unfortunately theres only two spindles in all of Canada!! Red Deer, Alberta and Victoria, BC won't be in till next week...so they put in new inners to keep me on the move till then, seeing they last about two weeks The only thing my shop is charging me for is the new spindle and alignment (no labour or bearings)..they feel bad cause they missed the problem.
Am going with brand new at 690.00 bucks Can. cuz a wreckers is about 400.00 and I have this policy of not using used. I went non OEM twice when I was a rookie and got burned twice so never again. ( alternator,water pump)

Thanks for your replies guys!!