Re:Finding Loads/Back Hauls

patperkins

Seasoned Expediter
Just started expediting in August. I love it! I am happy with the company I work for and am learning the business. A question that I would like to ask is:
What are the "hot" cities for finding and moving freight?
I live in Cleveland and work for a company based here as well. Primarily delivering to states in the east such as Ohio, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan. As with most expediters I don't like waiting long for back hauls. If I'm only 300 miles from home base I know I can double back and p/u a load back in Cleveland. I am an o/o and run a cargo van. And with most back loads they don't take you back home, so any place close is a bonus. Any suggestions in any states would be helpful. Thanks :)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Re: Finding Loads/Back Hauls

Here is list of ok to good cities:

Detroit, MI
Grand Rapids, MI
Rockford, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Indianapolis, IN
Fort Wayne, IN
Toledo, OH
Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
St Louis, MO
Atlanta, GA
Dallas, TX
Windsor,ON
Toronto, ON
Kitchener, ON
Chicago, IL
Buffalo, NY
New York City, NY
Boston, MA
Newark, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Charlotte, NC
Richmond, VA
Laredo, TX

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Here is list of ok to good cities:

Detroit, MI
Grand Rapids, MI
Rockford, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Indianapolis, IN
Fort Wayne, IN
Toledo, OH
Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
St Louis, MO
Atlanta, GA
Dallas, TX
Windsor,ON
Toronto, ON
Kitchener, ON
Chicago, IL
Buffalo, NY
New York City, NY
Boston, MA
Newark, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Charlotte, NC
Richmond, VA
Laredo, TX

Is this list in any specfic order? :confused:

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

I have found any city that has a large manufacturing base is going to be a hot area for expedite, as sometimes the manufacturer needs freight moved in a JIT environment. Also cities that have a Company distribution center as sometimes a customer order is short and they will expedite the remaining order to fulfill the customer needs.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

Your going to find,what city is busy for one carrier may not be busy for another,also,one size of equipment might be busy when another size wont be.You can figure most of the larger cities use expedited carriers,but you have to learn what expedite reallly is.You wont find an expedite carrier soliciting work from a shipper,as that will put the load into a truck load pay scale.The reason expedite freight pays better,is because it needs to be picked up and delivered with a set time frame,and the customer called your carrier,the carrier didn't call that shipper.Not all the freight an expedite carrier hauls,is an actual expedite load.This is why your base pay may vary.This actual load may not have a real need for delivery,even though your carrier is treating it as an expedite load.
The more you work the more you will understand what expedite really is.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter

Your going to find,what city is busy for one carrier may not be busy for another,also,one size of equipment might be busy when another size wont be.You can figure most of the larger cities use expedited carriers,but you have to learn what expedite reallly is.You wont find an expedite carrier soliciting work from a shipper,as that will put the load into a truck load pay scale.The reason expedite freight pays better,is because it needs to be picked up and delivered with a set time frame,and the customer called your carrier,the carrier didn't call that shipper.Not all the freight an expedite carrier hauls,is an actual expedite load.This is why your base pay may vary.This actual load may not have a real need for delivery,even though your carrier is treating it as an expedite load.
The more you work the more you will understand what expedite really is.

This is very true. I get a lot of loads that the customer just doesn't want to take a chance of damage by truck lines cross docking several times. Or don't want it stacked or crammed in with every thing else. Or they may may want it hand loaded or unloaded. Sometimes you never know why they paid extra for you to haul it. And it is really not important. Just do it and love it. That's what they pay you the big bucks for.

patperkins

Seasoned Expediter

:)Thanks for your responses they been great!!! Something else I have noticed is back hauls from Canada are non existent. Is that the company that I work for or "lazy" dispatcher. What gives? I make regular runs to Toronto and am never able to p/u anything until the border in Buffalo, which is a crap shoot as well. Your input is appreciated.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

You have to realize this is expedite,Unless a company is useing the internet load board,they will not solicit loads from any company.That lowers the rate.To get the high expedite rate,the shipper has to be in a bind to get his load picked up and delivered.There are many expedite loads in Canada,but most of the Canadian trucks are taking them.