Radiators and Condensers

Carmine_71

Rookie Expediter
I am doing a research on radiators and condensers for heavy duty trucks (6,7 and 8). I would be really grateful to learn about how radiators are selected, when need to be replaced. Based only on price? Is there any differentiation between suppliers? Are warranties comparable? How long does a replaced radiator last compared with the original one? How many times I can expect a radiator to be replaced during the useful life of a 6,7 or 8? Do radiators cost more or less than in the past? Is it preferable to buy an "original"spare radiator or a "private label" one works as well? Is there any technological development (materials, design, etc.) to be considered? Do you replace a radiator only when it breaks / fails or is the replacement suggested at certain mileage thresholds? Do radiators last today more than in the past? Any thought, suggestion, advice or help is very welcome! Thank you to all contributors.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am doing a research on radiators and condensers for heavy duty trucks (6,7 and 8). I would be really grateful to learn about how radiators are selected, when need to be replaced. Based only on price?

Price is important, but correct size/fit is more important

How long does a replaced radiator last compared with the original one?

About the same, IMO

How many times I can expect a radiator to be replaced during the useful life of a 6,7 or 8?

I have replaced several over the years in my various trucks, for various reasons. Mostly due to damage from another component failure. Once because the plastic on top became brittle after about 7 years of use.

Do radiators cost more or less than in the past?

Everything seems to cost more now

Is it preferable to buy an "original"spare radiator or a "private label" one works as well?

I have never bought one for a spare, if one needs replacing it is usually a "need it now" situation and carrying around a spare radiator for "just in case I need it" doesn't seem logical

Do you replace a radiator only when it breaks / fails or is the replacement suggested at certain mileage thresholds?

I have only replaced them when failure occurred or I found signs indicating possible upcoming failure. Usually, in my experience, radiator failure has been caused by another component, i.e fan or fan blade damaging radiator.

Do radiators last today more than in the past?

Hard to say, the old ones could rust / corrode since they were all metal, but , the new ones with plastic parts will become brittle and crack/ break easily

Any thought, suggestion, advice or help is very welcome! Thank you to all contributors.

I hope this helps.

Carmine_71

Rookie Expediter
Thank you! The one additional question that I am trying to answer is how many times during the lifetime of a truck I should expect a radiator to be replaced. I was reading on some industry reports that every 2/3 years a radiator fails and can be expected to be replaced on a Class 8 truck. But it sounds excessive, compared with your mention of 7 years.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you! The one additional question that I am trying to answer is how many times during the lifetime of a truck I should expect a radiator to be replaced. I was reading on some industry reports that every 2/3 years a radiator fails and can be expected to be replaced on a Class 8 truck. But it sounds excessive, compared with your mention of 7 years.

You're welcome.
My current truck, which I have had for almost 12 years, has only had the radiator replaced once. About 6 years ago. The plastic was becoming brittle so I dropped in a new one. I would think your maintenance schedule could affect the useful life of your radiator as well . I replace coolant, all hoses and clamps every year. That may be excessive, but I do not have system failures due to hoses breaking or clamps rusting.

A good maintenance schedule can make a world of difference.

Last edited:

Carmine_71

Rookie Expediter
Thank you. If you don't mind, six years ago did you select the new radiator to be installed or you left it to the shop to select it for you? There was time to "shop around" or just went with whoever had it available in the shortest time-frame?

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
I would like to chime in here as I used to own a radiator shop. There are many factors that relate to cooling, like the number of fins per inch and the type of fin. Some fins are flat and others are louvered. When opting for a replacement, stick to known quality names such as Modine and others since there are many Asian made copies available. Cheaper is not always best. As to when, have an experienced radiator shop tell you. Age does not matter if the radiator has been flushed regularly and the exterior has been kept clean and clear. Hot spots come from internal or external blockages, solder bloom is a sign of material deterioration. Most can be repaired, rodded out remain usable for many years. Road salt and caustic environments require cleaning regularly as they deteriorate the metals. Heat cycles deteriorate the plastic tanks but they can be repaired by plastic welding.
Hope this helps.
Scott

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Carmine_71

Rookie Expediter
Thank you, Scott. Do you in general think that a radiator shop was a "good business"? It looks to me that there is no real differentiation between radiators' providers. As you write, you can source them from China or Mexico and they are just reverse-engineering of original ones. Do you know other suppliers comparable with Modine? Thank you

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you. If you don't mind, six years ago did you select the new radiator to be installed or you left it to the shop to select it for you? There was time to "shop around" or just went with whoever had it available in the shortest time-frame?

I replaced mine with the OE from Freightliner. I swapped it myself.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Carmine, When I got out of the business, there was so much consolidation going on, I do not know who is still left. Griffin, Modine, to name a few are still around to my knowledge. I got out because the companies started marketing complete radiators cheaper than they would sell me a core, and they sold them to everyone. India and China are large global manufacturing sources for cheaper made products. Aftermarket radiators do not cool to the same capacity than OE (original Equipment) products. We used to be able to block 5% of the tubes in repairing radiators with no negative effect on the cooling capacity. There have been cooling issues with new replacement radiators because they do not meet OE specifications, Toyota comes to mind, as there were radiators available that did not have the proper number and size of tubes, the number of fins per inch and type of fin were insufficient to meet OE standards, but to the untrained eye, they appeared to be an exact replacement fit. The reverse engineering that you mentioned is not accurate. Physical dimensions does not always equate to proper engineering. We used to have aluminum cylinder heads manufactured in China for performance applications. They almost never met our published specifications for metallurgy or finished quality. They only piece that ever did was the test piece that they provided for approval. On top of that, they were selling our proprietary design heads globally before they even completed our orders! What you save in manufacturing costs, you must spend in quality control, so the effort is moot.

Scott

Carmine_71

Rookie Expediter
Thank you Scott. It seems though that with the increasing focus on energy efficiency and emissions, a new "wave" of better "fluid & thermal management systems" should soon be mounted on the new (more fuel efficient) heavy duty trucks. I suspect that if that happens, the copy-cat radiators (as any other part of the engine & ancillaries) would fall behind opening a window (at least temporarily) for US manufacturers to regain some share in the after-market. But it is just a thought. Thank you very much, all your considerations, as the ones from other contributors, have been very helpful.