Questions to ask

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
Hi guys.
Frist time questioner.
I'm Retired, 65 years old/young, and looking to do what I've always wanted to do. That's right Drive truck.
I have a CDL A with everything except HasMat. I let that go after the first year.
The problum I have is I have no class A experiance.
So I'd like to do as you say on this forum, work for someone else driving a van to get started and to see if this is the thing for me.
Lots of questions but the first is - Is there a thread on this or other conferences that lists the questions to ask a prospective carrier or van owner?
Also with a van, is diesel the best way to go or gas?
Does a van get Fuel Surcharges?
Does anyone know the site to go to to know the listing for the recomended FSU for the week?
Do you have to submit fuel reciepts to get the FSu from the company or the van owner?
Really enjoy reading the posts.
Thanks for the help already.
And Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Ben

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Hey, Ben.
I would suggest you spend some time reading the threads in the Newbie forum. I'm not sure what you mean by class A experience, but if you can drive a car you can probably drive a van. If you drive for someone else, it doesn't matter whether it is gas or diesel, but the gas/diesel discussion has been beaten to death on previous threads. I think the decision is a toss up. Personal preference. I am contracted to Panther, and yes I get fuel surcharges. Each load has a different FSC. It is not a weekly thing. No fuel receipts are necessary. It is part of the load earnings.
Good luck.
P and S. I started driving as a geezer also.
:+ :+

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
Old Prof & Terry:

Thanks for the return.

I met by the "class A" that I don't have experiance in driving a class 8 tractor. I've owned a couple and had a lot of fun customizing them and taking them to shows but no work experiance.

Thanks for the thread to the questions Terry. I knew it would be around someplace.
I've read most of the threads on the newbee conference but didn't see it.

In a couple of weeks I am going to check in with a local company that does expediting called "Northen Logistics". We'll see what they have to say.

Thanks again for the help.
I know I'll be back.

ben

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
Old Prof

I just looked at your signature line and saw we have a lot alike in our past.
I'm not a Prof but I did teach at the local JC.
Also was a Tool and Die maker.

Small world.

ben