Questions From The New Guy

ThatGuy

Expert Expediter
I've been loking into expediting for the last cupple of months now, and have finally decided I want to be an owner/opperator. I have my class B liscense and am looking to drive team for FedEx CC. If anyone would be so kind as to share info on; What type of truck is best(make of and size)? Good Experience with FedexCC? What might be some things to expect the first cupple of weeks? Down time? Money? Problems?

Pretty much anything that a new driver might need to know but may not be out there, I would like to hear about anything you may have to add about expediting. Any comments and suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated. And thanks already for posting comments, the archives has been most helpful. :)

Sincerly,
ThAtgUy

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Will you be a single or team? Money wise your income would be best with a "D" unit. How about driving for a fleet owner to get your feet wet. Sorta like be paid to go to college. That is my suggestion.

ThatGuy

Expert Expediter
Glen thanks for the input. I'm going to be doing team driving,it seems to pay better. But when it comes to the truck we were thinking of the "D" unit, this would be a class 8 truck, correct? And would you recomend it over a "C" unit? Also If anyone has any imput on LLC's I would be very interested in understanding more about the finacial side of the expediting world.

Thanks for the help.
ThAtgUy

coz1

Expert Expediter
I've been looking into expediting for the last cupple of months to and I in Youngstown, Oh.
I have a 95 fl70. and a 01 dodge. I have a Auto transport comp.we pull 4 cars on the trailers but I'm looking to move more stuff. can anyone help me? I'm trying to stay within 500 mi of Oh.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Not going to work in Expediting. I have not been 500 miles close to home in three weeks. I have been home one night in the past 4 weeks and total of 4 including the mentioned since March 1st five weeks ago. One more week out than maybee to the barn.

The freight will tell you when to work not you tell the freight otherwise you will not make it. Sorry but that is reality unless anyone else knows a better way.

As for the original post, I have a 05 KW T300 very very happy with. I know that LBD also has a 05 Steerling that he is pleased with both are class 7 not 8s. Pros and Cons we are both solos. The only negative I have is the cab is small, so when it gets disorginized it looks like a bomb went off in it. Ride is wonderfull handling the same fuel mileage is finally close to 10. Dependability I do not think you can beat a KW or Pete resale is higher than other brands.

ThatGuy

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the input. Do you run with a Proheat generator? does it run smooth? any problems with?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Yes I have Pro Heat and yes I would not be without one. Savings is great and it drowns out the noise of all of those other trucks and refers in the truck stops. My Expediting business would be much less profitable without it. As for carriers I personally would keep looking unless you like being a # or ice cube. Many companies out there actually care for there drivers you can find one.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I looked into forming an LLC for two rasons - assett protection and tax benefits . I found if you are a driver and are found negligent in an accident you can still be sued personally as well as the LLC . An LLC is more worthwhile if you have more than one truck to protect you if a hired driver is negligent . If you ar a multimember LLC the paperwork is horrendous . Also , other states may require you to register as a foreign LLC . Individual state fees range from $30 to $300 . You should talk to an accountant familiar with trucking before buying a truck and forming a business . If you get to a truck stop and pick up some free trucking magazines they will have ads for accountants or contact Frank at the tax topics forum here .

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a S Corp and while the beginning paperwork is a small hassle the tax writeoffs more then make up for it. You can be an employee of the corp and get some protection in the case of an accident. This is a real grey area and I am doing some research (Take that A Team LOL) on this issue and will publish something soon as I have all of the information checked out.