Questions for Weave

G

Weave, I'm picking on ya buddy. I really appreciate the way you give good, honest advice one here. I've not found one thing that you've said to be out of line with what others are saying here and on other forums. I have some more questions about the class 8 trucks.

1. Could you give me some help on where to look for these repo's?
I went to cdcc and I couldn't find anything pertaining to repo stuff.

2. How long is the wheelbase on your truck? I would like to know about what I need to be looking for. If I find a good used truck that I would have to stretch, I would need to know, but probably would want someone to figure the weight distribution on the axles to get the best set-up. If I know your wheelbase, I'll just have an idea of what I'm looking at.
BTW, while we're on that subject, would shortening your wheelbase not help with your weight distribution? I realize you don't want to mess with such a sweet truck, and the shorter wheelbase would take support away from thee rear of the box, but I would think that there is a sweet spot there somewhere?

3. When looking for a used truck, what age do I need to be loking at? I would be happy with a truck that has 3-400k miles on it with the detroit engine. I have owned and know others that have them. They are good for a million miles if taken care of and these trucks aren't gonna hurt a 430hp engine much. My mech. advises rod and main bearings at 5-600k just for a cheap ins. against major problems.
The reason for asking about age, some companies require 5 or 6 y/o trucks or newer. Is that pretty common? If so, I would think that I need to look at '00 models or newer? That would give me 3 years to run it before I had to trade. Any advice on this?

Thanks for all the useful advice, I know I'm not the only one who gets a lot of benefit from your experience.

G

Hey weave, I've been asking a lot of questions, but your not here for the last few days. Did i run you off?..lol I would suspect that your taking a little r&r time?

Don't have too much fun! :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No R&R, just out working since Fri after Thanksgiving, just got back home.
Where to look for repo's?? Hard to say, they just randomly turn up on dealer's lots anywhere and everywhere. The truck dealers commonly buy them at auction, much like automotive dealers. Search things like the Truck Paper and sales papers at the truckstops. Also, surf the web a lot, using what you might be looking for on search engines. It also helps to be out on the road looking, I have a natural eye that just seems to catch decent trucks on lots. The search to find the truck I have now took about 8 months. I wish I knew of an easier way, such as some type of list, but I don't. The banks don't care to mention what type of things they have recently repoed or where they are going to auction them at in most cases. It just takes luck and patience to find what is is you want or something close to it at the price you want to pay, but it will eventually turn up.
The WB on my Columbia w/70" sleeper and 24' box is 320". Long, and truck uses 4 driveshafts to get power to the axle. It has been working well for weight distribution where it is at, and has a very smooth ride, like a stretch limo. I position my loads in the box according to wieght, and have marked all the "sweet spots" for varios numbers of pallets and weights.
I agree a 5 or 6 year old class 8 truck with 300-500k miles would be fine for building into an expediter straight truck. Unfortunately the management of many expedite companies are brainless when it comes to the mechanics of well cared for trucks, and set what I feel are those stupid age requirements. An old well cared for truck is a much better bet than a two year old job that has been completely neglected and driven like it was stolen. But, if you build something older, just realize that you may be at the mercy of the leasing companies, many of which don't want anything much more than 5 years old. You limit your possibilites of who to lease to with anything older. Would be best I think to look for an '00 or newer even if it will cost a little more just so you don't close any doors. A lot of the newer trucks might still have some factory warranty left on powertrain components too, which can save you a lot of grief in the event you buy a truck with major problems.
-Weave-

G

Pretty good advice I would think. I've been looking at the '00 models, but have to keep in mind that in a few a days, they will be 4 years old. How do the freight companies determine age? I saw one website (fdxcc, i think) that stated age from date of manufacture and I think every truck I've ever looked at on a lot was a year older than the title shows if you go by that. That would squeeze us out of another year with the truck. Thx for the wheelbase info.

Thanks again for some good advice :)

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Auctions?

>>Where to look for repo's?? Hard to say, they just randomly
>turn up on dealer's lots anywhere and everywhere. The truck
>dealers commonly buy them at auction, much like automotive
>dealers.

Hwy Weave!
Can an individual go to an auction and hope to get something decent?
Or is it more for the "professional" truck buyer?
www.rbauctions.com
That is the website of Ritchie Bros Auctions. They are one of the biggest auction companies. I've heard of owner-ops who need a special type of equipment, say a trailer, going to a RB auction to get it.
That might be worth a look.

Merry Christmas!
RobA

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Auctions?

Some auto and truck auctions do allow the public to attend and bid, others only licensed dealers. One of the biggest truck auctions is the Ft Wayne Vehicle Auction in Ft Wayne, IN. They allow general public bidders, you do not have to be a dealer. Just one I know of for sure, it's supposed to be really good, have not actually been to it myself though.
-Weave-
http://www.truck-auction.com/

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I purchased a repo a couple of years ago from the Freightliner dealer in Grand Rapids, MI. They were actually storing the trucks on their lot for Mercedes Benz (the finance company for Freightliner). The dealer would only make a couple hundred bucks on the sale. I looked at various trucks, tried to find out as much as I could from the salesman about the condition of the truck; had my mechanic look it over. Asked if the dealer made a bid for the truck and how much they offered Mercedes. I then added a couple hundred to their rejected bid and ended up getting the truck I wanted. My '98 FL70, with cat 3126 w/6 speed (paid under $17,000 for it) has been running strong. Although I worry somewhat about the engine (after reading what Weave has said), I cannot complain about the performance of the truck.

Drive Safe

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes you have to be creative. Our truck was bought as a three month old repo. However, it use to be a race car hauler. Had to change the freight box and add landing gear. Took one of our old FL70's and put a tow body on it, and now I haul lumber in Florida with it. That is the one the has now over 900,000 miles on a 3126. Maybe not common but it can happen.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We're still waiting for you to post those pictures of your truck Dave! Would love to see your set up?