Questions for FlynScot

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Saw the post about Sprinter parts. Just posted a technical question about the Sprinters engine. Thought I'd ask you a few questions, and would appreciate if you would answer them. (1) Could you give me an estimate on the rpms at 65mph, hiway speed? (2)Are your maintainence intervals shorter (or longer) than a normally aspirated gasoline engine? (3) How would you compare initial costs with a domestic 1 ton cargo van? (4) How would you compare operating costs with domestic 1 ton gas and 1 ton diesel vans? (5)That seems like a lot of miles for a van in about a year. Who are you leased to, do run team?
Thanks very much for your time. I appreciate it.

Regards

DooWop

FLYNSCOT

Expert Expediter
MY FATHERS SPRINTER HAS JUST TURNED OVER 125,000 MILES! NOT BAD, SINCE WE GOT IT IN NOVEMBER 2001 HE HAS BEEN AVERAGING 22 MPG.
HE HAS HAD ONE MINOR SNAG THE EGR VALVE HAD TO BE REPLACED AT 96,000 MILES(COVERED BY THE WARRANTY) WE REPLACED TIRES AT 80,000 MILES(COULD HAVE WENT TO 90,000) HE HAD THE TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGED AT 90,000 MILES. HE DOES AN OIL/FILTER CHANGE EVERY 10,000 MILES//FUEL FILTER EVERY 20,000//AIR FILTER EVERY 30,000. SO FAR WE ARE REALLY PLEASED WITH THE SPRINTER AND IT DEFINATELY IS PAYING FOR ITSELF.HE HAS HAD LOADS UP TO 4,000LBS AND IT STILL PULLS STRONG EVEN UP HILLS.THE OIL FILTER IS ABOUT 13 DOLLARS FUEL FILTER 22 DOLLARS AIR FILTER 32 DOLLARS AND THE OIL IS ABOUT 15 DOLLARS PER GALLON 3 GALLONS AN OIL CHANGE. WE FEEL THAT IT IS VERY COST EFFECTIVE.
IT IS A STANDARD WHEELBASE 140 INCH, STANDARD HEIGHT 63 INCHES IT DRIVES GREAT AND THOSE 15 INCH WHEELS KEEPS THE CENTER OF GRAVITY OF THE VEHICLE CLOSER TO THE GROUND, IT HANDLES THE CORNERS LIKE A SPORTS CAR.

AT 65 MPH 2200RPM 70 MPH 2600 80 MPH 3000.

HE RUNS SINGLE FOR NATIONS EXPRESS OUT OF CHARLOTTE N.C. A VERY GOOD COMPANY FOR VAN FREIGHT.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THESE VEHICLES HAVE BEEN RUNNING IN EUROPE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS THEY HAVE PROVEN THEMSELVES OVER THERE.I WAS IN ENGLAND AND SCOTLAND THE 1ST WEEK IN SEPTEMBER THEY ARE A DIME A DOZEN, SPRINTERS EVERYWHERE, I TALKED TO A FEW DRIVERS WITH SPRINTERS 2 OF THEM HAD OVER 500,000 MILES ON THEIR VANS, WITH NO MAJOR PROBLEMS
JIM

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
i can speak to your gas veres diesel ques.i had a 99 e350 gas and a diesel,both ended the year with a little over 100,000 miles and similar driving habits idiling,tires at 70psi,speed control.the diesel saved me 3700$ on fuel for the year.