Questions about Driver's License Type

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I have a friend of mine that is interested in driving part-time for me. I own the above truck and it has a GVW of 11000#. What type of license will he need to drive this truck legal. I have a CDL because the carrier I started with required it (mainly due to Haz-Mat I think) but my current carrier does not run any Haz-Mat at all.
Will a chauffuers license suffice for this? Also he is blind in Right eye from birth but is 20/20 in other eye. If a CDL is required is there some sort of waiver a doctor can sign for the vision part of the physical?
Thanks for any help.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Was just going over my dot physical,i took the other day,and on your question about your friend it says At least 20/40 acuity in each eye with or without correction.At least 70 degree peripheal in horizontal meridian measured in each eye.Sorry pal but i don't think your buddy can drive for you.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Well As for the truck. I do believe anything over 10K requires a CDL-C License, and I also agree with whitewolf53. I don't think your Friend will pass the DOT Physical. Wish you Luck. Drive Safely...Butch
:) :) :)

Special K

Expert Expediter
Everyone on here could tell you what they THINK the rules are. Better just call the Dept. of Safety and find out what the law says.
There are a lot of problems that waivers are available for - more than you might think.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
> Well As for the truck. I do believe anything over 10K
>requires a CDL-C License, and I also agree with whitewolf53.
>I don't think your Friend will pass the DOT Physical. Wish
>you Luck. Drive Safely...Butch

This is not so. If that were the case U-Haul, Penske and Ryder would be out of business as nobody (ok few) could rent their trucks.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport
2 years local/distance expedite
Laurel, MD (Washington DC area)

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
I don't know what the rules are,i was just relating back to him what it says on the long form dot physical about eyesight

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
it veries from state to state as to the license needed to operate the truck. In minnesota a class d will allow a driver to operate any single unit to 26,000 pounds. As to the DOT requirements about eye sight, I think exceptions can be made by doctors, but I suspect he would not get a full 2 year card, they may only issue 1 year or 6 month cards. I suspect they will fail him however. Sorry.

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
RE: Questions about Driver's License Type (possibl

I am posting the link to the FMCSA site where I read about the agency waiving the vision requirements for 29 drivers. Quoting from the article referred to at the FMCSA site, "The 29 applicants fall into this category. They are unable to meet the vision standard in one eye for various reasons, including amblyopia, a macular scar, and loss of an eye due to trauma. In most cases, their eye conditions were not recently developed. All but 10 of the applicants were either born with their vision impairments or have had them since childhood. The 10 individuals who sustained their vision conditions as adults have had them for periods ranging from 13 to 61 years." It is a long and complicated read, but from what I read quickly, there is hope for your friend. Best of luck.

Larry Badger

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/fmcsr/final/05-851_29_Notice_of_final_disposition_1-14-05.htm

[Federal Register: January 14, 2005 (Volume 70, Number 10)
[Notices]
[Page 2705-2707]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr14ja05-120]

[[Page 2705]]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

[FMCSA Docket No. FMCSA-2004-19477]

Qualification of Drivers; Exemption Applications; Vision

AGENCY: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), DOT.

ACTION: Notice of final disposition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: The FMCSA announces its decision to exempt 29 individuals from the vision requirement in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs). The exemptions will enable these individuals to qualify as drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) in interstate commerce without meeting the vision standard prescribed in 49 CFR 391.41(b)(10).

DATES: January 14, 2005.

>I have a friend of mine that is interested in driving
>part-time for me. I own the above truck and it has a GVW of
>11000#. What type of license will he need to drive this
>truck legal. I have a CDL because the carrier I started
>with required it (mainly due to Haz-Mat I think) but my
>current carrier does not run any Haz-Mat at all.
>Will a chauffuers license suffice for this? Also he is
>blind in Right eye from birth but is 20/20 in other eye. If
>a CDL is required is there some sort of waiver a doctor can
>sign for the vision part of the physical?
>Thanks for any help.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
RE: Questions about Driver's License Type (possibl

Wow Larry!

You are one web searchin' urchin!

Thanks for the wonderful 'on topic' and useful posts!

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport
2 years local/distance expedite
Laurel, MD (Washington DC area)

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
MSinger;
A CDL is not required by federal law until the GVW of the vehicle exceeds 26,000 lbs, or is 3 axles or more (Class B). A class A is required for combination vehicles (Tractor/Trailer) where the trailer exceeds 10,000 GVW. A Class C license is virtually a Class D (Operators license) with a Hazmat endorsement which is used for vehicles under 26,000 GVW when hauling plcardable amounts of Hazmat.
The state of Michigan requires at least a chaffeurs license for any vehicle used in hauling freight for hire.
The problem your friend will encounter is that most trucking companies will require, AS A COMPANY POLICY, that all drivers pass a DOT Physical. Having vision in one eye only will not allow him/her to pass the physical. The DOT has not been issuing vision waivers for a while except for a very few unique circumstances. Requiring drivers to pass a DOT physical helps to prove that a driver is qualified in some lawsuits.
I hope this helps.
Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter
John Mueller, CDS

Preacher

Expert Expediter
I will add what I copied from the Q&A at the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Admin.) web site below.

The law says that if you have a GCWR of more than 26,000lbs when the trailer is over 10,000lbs GVWR you must have a CDL. The important wording here is "more than 26,000lbs". What that means is, if for example you have a truck with a GVWR of 12,000lbs and a trailer with a GVWR of 15,000lbs, then you have a gross combination weight rating of 27,000lbs and you would therefore need a CDL because you are over 26,000lbs GCWR. But if you have a truck with a GVWR of 10,000lbs and a trailer with a GVWR of 15,000lbs, your GCWR would be 25,000lbs and therefore you would NOT need a CDL because your GCWR is under 26,000lbs. Also, if you had a truck with a GVWR of 20,000lbs and a trailer with a GVWR of 8,000lbs, you have a GCWR of 28,000lbs, but you do not need a CDL even though the GCWR is over 26,000lbs because the trailer is under 10,000GVWR. If the trailer went over 10,000lbs GVWR giving you a GCWR of over 30,000lbs, you would then be required to have a CDL.

The following has been cut and pasted directly from the FMCSA web site at :

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/fmcsr/regs/interp383.91.htm

Question 2: Is a driver of a combination vehicle with a GCWR of less than 26,001 pounds required to obtain a CDL even if the trailer GVWR is more than 10,000 pounds?

Guidance: No, because the GCWR is less than 26,001 pounds. The driver would need a CDL if the vehicle is transporting HM(hazardous materials) requiring the vehicle to be placarded or if it is designed to transport 16 or more persons.

Question 3: Can a State which expands the vehicle group descriptions in section 383.91 enforce those expansions on out-of-State CMV (commercial motor vehicle) drivers by requiring them to have a CDL?

Guidance: No. They must recognize out-of-State licenses that have been validly issued in accordance with the Federal standards and operative licensing compacts.

In my earlier posting titled "First Load...Trial by Fire" you can see my hotshot rig that is rated at 26,000lbs GCW (Gross Combination Weight). My Truck is stamped 10,000lbs GVWR and the trailer is stamped 15,000lbs GVWR. I do not have a CDL and it is not required that I have one. I've been stopped at several scales, and after giving them my standard class "D" driver's license, I have never had a problem.

With regard to the eye, I believe your friend will need to get a Skills Performance Evaluation (SPE) Cetificate before he can get his medical card or a CDL. He needs to call his regional DOT office and talk to them about what is required in order to receive a medical waiver.

I hope this helps to resolve any questions.

G

Preacher, would you mind sharing the empty weight of your truck and trailer combined? It would give me a ballpark figure for something I'm looking into. I think you've mentioned somewhere...but what length is your trailer?

Thx,

Preacher

Expert Expediter
G'mornin Arky.

The length of my trailer is 48ft including the gooseneck. It has a 40ft deck. The total weight of truck and trailer when empty (full of fuel with a 175lb passenger) is 16,420lbs.

Hope that helps you.

G

thx Preacher. That's a little heavier than i wanted to hear, but isn't it always?..lol. One thing though, somethng along the lines of a 3/4 ton truck with maybe around 20 ft. of trailer deck would take care of what I have in mind.

talk to ya later,

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Thanks to all for the valuable information. I love this site. Someone else I was talking to mentioned the possibility of a Chauffeurs license with a DOT medical card. I had not heard of this before. I live in Indiana if this helps. Any further input greatly appreciated.

Preacher

Expert Expediter
A standard driver's license with a DOT physical card would be all you need if you are between 10,000lbs GVW and 26,000lbs GVW, as long as there is no haz-mat involved. If you are going to haul haz-mat you'll at least a CDL "C" w/haz-mat endorsement. 26,001lbs and up you'll ned at least a CDL "B".