Question for straigt truck owners

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Question for straight truck owners

Hi
I have a question for staight truck owners. My operation is based mainly on cargo vans. I have one straight truck . It is a 2004 Freightleiner M2 with the Mercedes engine. I bought it 3 years ago ,I have a great solo driver on it. So far everything was ok,but lately the reparation expenses went sky high. The last one was the turbo,cost me $3500. The truck has 540 kmiles. Bought it wit 230. My question is what should I do ,should I sell it now before the truck goes down and make some money selling it or keep it one or two more years? I would like to keep it ,but the high repair costs scarry me. I'm just afraid that after 500 kmiles we will have to visit the Frightliner shop more offen. We do all our repairs at the freightleiner .Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you have the 900 motor and it has been run hard you might be getting near the life expectancy of that engine. It all depends on how well it was maintained.
I avoid the Freightliner dealer as much as possible. We have a really good local shop right across the street from our local dealer that does much better work for a lot less money.
I would try and find a local shop that you can trust and have them check the truck out and see what they think.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I know ( aprox. 1600 parts ,1400 labor ,500 toll truck)...Thats why I have this question.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I've never worked on that engine but I doubt if it would take over a hour to change the turbo on my cummins.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I've never worked on that engine but I doubt if it would take over a hour to change the turbo on my cummins.
Usually when you have a turbo failure you will have to take off and clean the air charge cooler.
Sometimes when you lose a turbo oil will flow everywhere and if not cleaned out could cause a "diesel runaway" when you start it causing the engine to rev at insane rpm's till it floats a valve or worse.
As for the turbo the impeller could come apart causing many pieces of metal to get sucked in the intake (not good) so I would invest more than one hour to replace.
15 hours Approx labor does seem pretty excessive though:eek:
Here is a interesting piece of knowledge about runaway diesels and what you can do if you find yourself with one..
Diesel engine runaway : Causes

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Ok. So should I keep it or should I sell it? :)
Only you can answer that..
Issues to consider are maint history, over all condition of truck (is it worth putting $$ into a rebuild) etc..
When you purchase a truck you have to build replacement costs into your cost per mile and use it to replace the equipment and or maintain, repair etc.
If your margin is so tight that you are unable to do that then your best bet would be to sell the truck and pocket the $$.
Going forward though be sure if you have this many miles in a class 7 truck you will be spending money to keep it on the road.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Ok. So should I keep it or should I sell it? :)

With todays economy being what it is, you might not get near what you think for it. I have a 2000 Pete with 420K and I know it wouldn't bring anything if I wanted to sell it. Yours is a 2004 with 540K. Look at some of the classifieds and see what they are asking for them. Also take notice how long they have been listed for sale. There is a world of trucks out there that are just sitting. Bad part is that the owners can't eat them. Of course, if you keep dropping your price, somebody will take it from you.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I am driving an '07 M2 with the same motor. I just had EGR and Cooler replaced. I took it to a Detroit engine shop. If I were you, I would find a Detroit shop and have an oil analysis done. If this shows no major problems, have it done every so often to be sure no parts are wearing.