Question about winter driving

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I'd say that I end up late for minimum 10% of loads and maybe as even as high as 20% of loads.

It has never affected me, it has never costed me a dime. But I'm not dumb, I know which loads are more important and which loads were unrealistic and my sleep schedule is more important safety wise.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'd say that I end up late for minimum 10% of loads and maybe as even as high as 20% of loads.

It has never affected me, it has never costed me a dime. But I'm not dumb, I know which loads are more important and which loads were unrealistic and my sleep schedule is more important safety wise.

We have not updated the statistic since we came to Landstar two months ago, but Diane's and my career on-time percentage over eight years and nearly 1,000 loads with FedEx Custom Critical was 99.4 percent with the 0.6 percent being due to mechanical breakdowns.

Our on-time percentage is that high (slightly higher now if you include our Landstar loads) because we worked with dispatchers to modify the pick up and delivery times when encountering things that were out of our control. Such things include weather, road construction delays, detours, and traffic.

Work with dispatch and the customers you serve instead of working against a pick up or delivery time that may not be safe or realistic.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
We have not updated the statistic since we came to Landstar two months ago, but Diane's and my career on-time percentage over eight years and nearly 1,000 loads with FedEx Custom Critical was 99.4 percent with the 0.6 percent being due to mechanical breakdowns.

Our on-time percentage is that high (slightly higher now if you include our Landstar loads) because we worked with dispatchers to modify the pick up and delivery times when encountering things that were out of our control. Such things include weather, road construction delays, detours, and traffic.

Work with dispatch and the customers you serve instead of working against a pick up or delivery time that may not be realistic.

Wow, you have a 99.4% rate, that is freakin amazing,

look, who is being condesceding again.

did me being late 1 in every 5 times, cost me anything? Why should I change, being late works for me and my carrier.

why must I conform ?

why must I do what you do?

but thanks for proving my point, that you need to try to prove you are better.

way to act like a bully and try to make other people look weak an insufficient, when I gave the OP more reason, to not change.

you are telling him, that he is making a mistake, I am telling him, no he isnt' he doesn't need to rush, he can be late and it won't hurt him

but keep rushing him and see how many accidents that causes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wow, you have a 99.4% rate, that is freakin amazing,

look, who is being condesceding again.
I dunno, I've had one service failure, also due to mechanical failure, which resulted in a late delivery. I've never bothered to figure the percentage, tho it would be easy enough to do, but I'd say my on-time percentage is in the same ballpark as the ATeam's. Other than that, I've never been late due to anything within my control. Like Phil (and most others, I would imagine) I work with dispatch to adjust realistic times when encountering delays due to weather, road construction, detours, and traffic.

I'm not sure how having a successful on-time record, nor stating that fact, could be construed a bullying attempt to make someone look weak and insufficient. My sleep schedule is more important safety-wise than any load I can think of, too, which is why I won't accept a load if it interferes with my sleep schedule to the detriment of on-time delivery. I won't make a commitment in the first place to do something which I know I cannot fulfill. To do otherwise isn't weak and insufficient, it's unprofessional. A 90% on-time delivery is, I suppose, marginally sufficient at a few carriers, but it's unacceptable at most.

Expediting is, in the end, a pretty simple and easy gig - you pick up and deliver the freight safely, legally and on-time, and you deliver it in the same condition in which you picked it up. A 99.4% on-time rate may seem "freakin amazing" to some, but others will view a 90% or less rate even more freakin' amazing.