Qualcomm question

gzjvxf

Expert Expediter
I am going to start in the Expediting business probably in 2 weeks. I have narrowed it down between 2 companies to lease my Cargo Van to. One of the companies doesn't require or offer Qualcomm. The other does as most of the companies out there. Should I be cautious of this. What are the pros and cons to this? The recruiter says I will be saving the weekly deduct from my settlement check and they are a waste when you can just use a nextel phone? Is this true?

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
I run a cargo van and do not have qualcomm. It doesn't seem to be a problem and as you stated, it saves a little money. If you have a cellular phone with nationwide calling you should be able to do just fine without it. You will just have to get load info over the phone and may have to check-in with dispatch to update your location depending on the company's policies. Hope this helps you.

Brian

aka us_roadrunner

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Welcome to the forum. We run team for FDCC and use the qualcomm. We're very pleased with it as we can communicate with the carrier and not eat up our cell minutes. All the information concerning the run is on that c-link and that is a record that you can go back on if you must for some reason. Unless you're going to record all your calls I don't think you're going to get that with your nextel. It also gives all the directions to p/u and del and if something changes with the run or other things come up where you get into a he said she said problem, your record of events is always there. We pay $25 a week. I think the only way I would consider using a cell is if the carrier was going to pay the tab. Good luck in your expediting adventure.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I think I miss my mind the most!!

wannabeotr

Expert Expediter
>
>
>Welcome to the forum. We run team for FDCC and use the
>qualcomm. We're very pleased with it as we can communicate
>with the carrier and not eat up our cell minutes. All the
>information concerning the run is on that c-link and that is
>a record that you can go back on if you must for some
>reason. Unless you're going to record all your calls I don't
>think you're going to get that with your nextel. It also
>gives all the directions to p/u and del and if something
>changes with the run or other things come up where you get
>into a he said she said problem, your record of events is
>always there. We pay $25 a week. I think the only way I
>would consider using a cell is if the carrier was going to
>pay the tab. Good luck in your expediting adventure.
>
>
>Of all the things I've lost in my life, I think I miss my
>mind the most!!

You have to have had a mind to lose it, right!
:7

I rode shotgun with an o/o who had qualcomm system, he still writes everything down, so he can look at it while driving, or I would read the directions!

I am looking to get into this business myself, and would not hesitate to have top of the line unit put in! Anything to help me get to the address, will only enhance my paycheck!

XM Radio had a talk session on location devices, Semi or the GM auto style units. Said it takes some privacy away. Well, if I ain't doing anything I would be ashamed of, who cares! They would find me anyway, cause the Lord would lead them to me,IMHO.

Give me a good ride, qualcomm, XM Radio,CB and a laptop w/printer and Internet access and I would be a happy trucker!

May all your hopes and dreams come true,