qualcom question..logs

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
How sensitive is the qualcom...if I were to move across th street about 3 tenths of a mile or acroos the parking lot would I have to log that (dont want to break my 10 hr). would a companies qualcom pick up .I dont want to skirt the law but trying to find out wats practical.. is it a hard fast rule that where you stop is where you stop... I asked the company saftey one time and they said " im showing you with full hours" thats all I can say..after moving a bloc because 2nd shift security decided he didnt care what first shift said

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Canada they allow for log purposes a 75 mile move for personal reasons as long as you show the move. Thats IF you own the truck.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If you move,pull the fuse,then when your ready to go back in service,put it back in,if your worried.The actual spots that the qc finds may not be where you are,but when you move spots,even a few feet,it might show you miles away.Companies want to say the qc is very accurate,but it really isn't.Over the years,I've been told when your layed over or out of service,you can use your truck as your personal vehicle,by covering up the signs,I asked a DOT inspector that very question last year,cause I was out on my 14 hrs,and wanted to go to a motel,rather than sit in a rest area,and I was told that the truck would not be a personal vehicle,under any circumstances.
So with that,you just going to have to try it,if you get cought by safety,then dont do it again

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
uhhh thanks i think..lol i dont believe it is that accurate either... i just want to go accross the ##### street dont want the "false log" stuff and im ready to run a freakn load

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
From time to time I've seen a statement from FHWA saying an unladen commercial vehicle can be driven a reasonable distance off duty for food or lodging . I've seen that posted a couple of times but can never have it come up in Google.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Do you work for panther and are you on the paperless logs? If so you can move .7 of a mile before it starts up your log.

I'm fully paperless so if you have any question on that stuff. I know it :+

catshavestaff

Seasoned Expediter
>Do you work for panther and are you on the paperless logs?
>If so you can move .7 of a mile before it starts up your
>log.
>
>
>I'm fully paperless so if you have any question on that
>stuff. I know it :+

We've moved the truck to the fuel island, which at some truckstops, can be a bit away from the original parking spot, and then over to another parking spot, without it showing up on the QC. Granted, we could have fueled up before stopping for the night/day, but were too bloody tired.
;-)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
when did panther go on paperless? another question, do you have to back up your paperless log with a paper log. a friend of mine worked for werner and when they started the paperless they had a few kinks in their system. he said if they were stuck in traffic the qc would kick them down into the off duty line. so if you sit in traffic for 4 or 5 hours and never get over 15 mph those 4 or 5 hours would show you off duty. so when your hours run out the qc is showing you have 4 hours left to run when actually you don't. so dispatch would call them and wake them up and tell them to roll because they had hours left to run. werner ended up getting a good size fine from the dot. then they worked the kinks out.
i personnly wouldn't want a machine doing my log for me. mainly because a log is good for 2 things in my mind. #1 to protect drivers from the companies to keep them from being forced to run to hard and #2 for the government to generate revenue. with that being said what keeps a person from hacking into the system and messing up your log as a prank and you get stuck with the fine. or some hard core dispatcher making fraudulent changes to your log to keep you moving and then threatening to fire you if you stop.
honestly, i don't think a paperless log will make the drivers who want to cheat stop cheating because if one person can figure something up another person can figure out a way around it. all of those qcs have a glich in the system. you just have to find it.

diver5240

Seasoned Expediter
Unless your company is on paperless logs I would not even worry about it. DOT inspectors and your safety personnal do not care about moves like that, most do not care unless you leave the city you logged at.

sweetwater

Seasoned Expediter
How does the average driver who no longer drives for his last employer obtain qual com transmissions he made before he left the company?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
So as an expediter if one is in Phoenix and is looking for a better run out of say El Paso could El Paso be considered the o/o terminal ? If so and the o/o was not under a load would that be off-duty time?

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure who you run for BUT.....if Panther there is the option of ODD. If you are NOT on a load and just want to run somewhere close you can put yourself off duty driving for a maximum of 30 mins 30 miles. (I may be wrong on the miles part) and drive to where you need to go and not have it affect your start of day at all. They did this in response to people that needed to run up to walmart or get to a truckstop etc....

-cj

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
When I was with Werner (Paperless Log System) the qc was set to drop me to line 3 as soon as it detected > 2 mph or >.2 miles. But what was really stranger was I've heard stories about Werner drivers getting put onto line 3 or 4 because they play with the range switch.

What I was told, was that if you stay within the city limits you don't need to log it -- however, they could not give me the regs to support that.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
When I was with Werner (Paperless Log System) the qc was set to drop me to line 3 as soon as it detected > 2 mph or >.2 miles. But what was really stranger was I've heard stories about Werner drivers getting put onto line 3 or 4 because they play with the range switch.

What I was told, was that if you stay within the city limits you don't need to log it -- however, they could not give me the regs to support that.

What happens if while you just goin to the store and someone hits you or you hit some one else and your out of hours on your logs? I'm sure the d.o.t. cop is going to be real impressed when you tell him "Yes officer, I am out of hours, but I needed to get somethings and I didn't leave the city limits".

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Sorry if I gave the impression that I do this.

I am on a team truck and when I am out of hours the other one drives (my wife btw). If we both don't have the hours we walk or get a ride.