putting someone in my van and signing them on with

G

To the small fleet owners out there.....

I'm interested in finding a driver and setting him/her up with an expediting company. What things should I look out for and what can I expect to make, if I can expect to make anything.

It sounds so easy but if it was easy and profitably I'm sure everyone would be doing it.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: putting someone in my van and signing them on

Use your own good judgement. As a retired cop, you should have the best human judgement known to man. Trust it.
-Weave-

Lureveto

Expert Expediter

There is no easy answer to this one. Some will say grab someone you like and trust your judgement. Well,,,,,,I tried that. Nice guy until he got up in Alberta Canada with his wife. After unloading he took 6 days to dead head back to the states. When asked why, "he was sightseeing and showing his wife the scenery" You see the temptation was too much for him. I bought him anything he wanted. Advanced him money and what ever else he needed. He left at my sugestion and the next guy Con-Way talked me into lived in the truck for almost 2 weeks while idling in the coldest part of Jan 02. It seemed all he wanted was a place to sleep. He turned down loads until dispatch stopped sending him loads. Then they told me it was my responsiblity to find him and get the van back. I live in Florida. That took another week. Don't forget this guy was REFERRED by Con-Way. They said he was one of the best. You would not believe the van when I got it back. There were shoe prints on the ceiling of the van. I had to drive it home (1000 miles) to get it in shape for another driver. But the funny thing is Con-Way refered this same guy yet to another contractor(can you imagine that). Last word on the subject is just buy a truck and drive it. Thats my advice and I'm sticking to it. Oh I almost forgot. The guy that slept in the van for 2 weeks called and asked me to pay him his percentage of a cancelled load. I did.

G

I've got a problem and need some advice...

I bought a sprinter less than a month ago with the intentions of running it myself. I have just been offered a job with a racing team in the charlotte area that I hate to pass up.

How do I go about signing on my van to one of the big expeditors and finding a driver? What do I do first? Get the van approved as if I was going to drive it and then tell the company...By the way, I plan to put someone in here driving or what?

Also who is putting on sprinters?

Thanks for all the great advice.