Purchasing a Tractor

mstephensr

Seasoned Expediter
First I just want to thank everyone for there straightforward and from the gut answers to previous questions. I am wondering what do most companies require for Tractors as far as age limitations? I am also wondering if I purchase a Tractor that is 5-7 years old and has ballpark 400-700K miles on it what kind of miles could I expect to get out of it and what term of loan should I do? Would it be better to go newer with less miles and finance longer or higher miles and finance shorter? I see some fleets who sell off there old equipment, are these usually good trucks and been maintained well, or would it be better to buy from a dealer or individual?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Most of the companies want a 5 year or newer truck,but will let you keep them til they are 10 years old.You should look for a 2 year old truck,with around 150k to 200000 miles.This will let you have a 4 or 5 year note,and the payment wont be crazy.This is not a business to start out in with a 2000/month payment.Now with that said,i go against my accountant,as he likes used trucks,do to more write offs,i like new,much less down time.No money to be made while in the shop.Now what to look for in a truck;this is expedite,so you want a truck you will feel compfortable in running team,you may not be team now,but wont take you long to realize a team is better.When buying this truck,get it with an apu,idle laws are getting out of hand,personally,I dont have one,nor do I idle much,but I am in a motel about 6 times a month,to me thats cheaper than an apu.Have dealer hook up to the electronics,it will show all the codes,since new,and also the fuel mileage,you dont wan a truck that gets less than 6 mpg,you wont know if it were used hauling heavy loads or not,but if computer says 6mpg,with the expedite loads,as most are light,you could get over 7mpg.At 200000 mile,truck should have new steering tires,and at least another 100000 miles left on the drive tires.if it has recaps,stay away from that truck,unless they will replace them at no charge.well thats all i can tell you,if you have anyother questions,just ask,not many tractor people on here,mostly straight trucks,but you can get good information.Just saw another question,dont buy from individual,to hard to obtain financing,especially for a 1st time buyer.If you can stay around 1500 month on a 2 year old truck,you will do well.Most like 1000/month but that truck will be to old.most fleets take pretty good care of equipment,but most have to many miles

Last edited:

mstephensr

Seasoned Expediter
Most of the companies want a 5 year or newer truck,but will let you keep them til they are 10 years old.You should look for a 2 year old truck,with around 150k to 200000 miles.This will let you have a 4 or 5 year note,and the payment wont be crazy.This is not a business to start out in with a 2000/month payment.Now with that said,i go against my accountant,as he likes used trucks,do to more write offs,i like new,much less down time.No money to be made while in the shop.Now what to look for in a truck;this is expedite,so you want a truck you will feel compfortable in running team,you may not be team now,but wont take you long to realize a team is better.When buying this truck,get it with an apu,idle laws are getting out of hand,personally,I dont have one,nor do I idle much,but I am in a motel about 6 times a month,to me thats cheaper than an apu.Have dealer hook up to the electronics,it will show all the codes,since new,and also the fuel mileage,you dont wan a truck that gets less than 6 mpg,you wont know if it were used hauling heavy loads or not,but if computer says 6mpg,with the expedite loads,as most are light,you could get over 7mpg.At 200000 mile,truck should have new steering tires,and at least another 100000 miles left on the drive tires.if it has recaps,stay away from that truck,unless they will replace them at no charge.well thats all i can tell you,if you have anyother questions,just ask,not many tractor people on here,mostly straight trucks,but you can get good information.Just saw another question,dont buy from individual,to hard to obtain financing,especially for a 1st time buyer.If you can stay around 1500 month on a 2 year old truck,you will do well.Most like 1000/month but that truck will be to old.most fleets take pretty good care of equipment,but most have to many miles

Thanks Nightcreacher. I have been informed that you are a good source for information as well as a couple others that responded to my last post and that you won't steer me wrong. I appreciate all your information and help.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I bought my 2002 frt classic from Werners sales dept' Good pricing, mostly well maintained and mostly double bunks. They also offer the drive train warr from the manufact for a fraction of what the dealers do. I like the tractor idea cause you can always find work if your current gig doesn't work out.,I tried a straight trk but I figured if Landstar got tired of me or vice versa, I would have to go to another exped company and I would not work for any of the rest, hence a tractor. I now have a 2000 fld120 there and I don't know if we have an age restriction. You can pull a pup here and be considered a D unit or a 53 and be a E unit, your choice. I do about 7.5 mpg and have apu(a must} w/10 sp. Good luck PM me if you have Landstar questions or...