projects for old smart phone

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I upgraded to a new phone. The old phone was a motorola droid x. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the phone didn't lose any of its functionality other than phone calls. My main plan was to save the phone as a backup. Since it turns out I have a full functioning wifi device, I'm exploring what I can use it for.

Any ideas?

So far the plans involve practicing surgery on it, since I broke the face last year. It sounds like I can get a replacement touchscreen if I can find a reputable source. The other thing I want to do is root the phone, so I can study what goes on inside these things.

eb

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have my ex Virgin Mobile Motorola Triumph (similar to Droid X) in my kitchen and I use it mainly as a Sirius/XM player through bluetooth to a Monster Clarity speaker. Works great.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Thanks.

I've already come up with another use. I use the apps called catch and ak notepad for recording notes. The problem comes when I want to work off of a saved note while searching or browsing for information contained in my notes. It's cumbersome to toggle between functions, so now I'm trying to take my notes in the extra phone. I can see my notes on the one phone while I research with the other (like two open windows). Next I'll set up the two apps to sync whenever I open the two devices at the same time.

eb

OldGuy

Active Expediter
You can do that just fine with one phone.
Hold the house looking key "home button" and a screen will pop up with your recent applications.
You can easily switch from one to another without losing your place/progress.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The problem is with the short term memory buffer. By the time I get from here to there what was here?

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/tech-shop/49264-dropped-phone.html

The link goes to the story that led to this thread.

Finally performed surgery on the old phone. It cost about $40 in parts and tools--all ordered online. You Tube provided the instruction. I ended up dismantling and reassembling the phone half a dozen times before getting it all back in working order. I can do it with my eyes closed now.

Hard part 1) Knowing how hard to pry on a connector or blind fastener. The You Tube videos were the lifesaver on this count. 2) Being able to see the insanely, tiny screws and connectors. 3) Reinstalling and reconnecting the insanely, tiny screws and connectors (they disconnect sooo much easier). You Tube videos were worthless for reassembly--"Follow the disassembly instructions in reverse."

The phone works, and I'm using it as a wifi pda. Rooting the phone is next.

eb

Attachments

• post surgery.jpg
    post surgery.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8