Power Stroke

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Would appreciate any info on the longevity of the Powerstroke. Broke my lease last month after 4 years with same company. I am interested in coming back; however, my van is a 2000 with 470,000 on the engine. It seems to be running good and we are the only (wife and myself) drivers and maint. has been regularily performed.:)

God Bless You

ps Been on this site since it's inception, just don't post very often, but do appreciate the efforts of others, especially Weave

tazman

Expert Expediter
Are you looking to buy a new unit (i.e. the 6.0 liter Powerstroke) ??
If so the vans were delayed for several months earlier this year due to engineering changes.....
There are 2004 units out there but they are not plentiful....

The 2005 models will be rolling in about 60-90 days...they seem to have worked out the 'kinks' on the new units.......I'm kind of "gun shy" on any of the new 6.0's (even though I seel them)...I've had my share of customer issues on these diesels.....

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am really not ready for a new van because I'm not sure at this point of how long I want to continue and a new van would require about a 4-5 year commitment.
I have heard that initally they had some electronic problems with the 6.0; however, by the time they went in the van they were resolved.
I would like to get another 18-24 months from my current van or another 200,000 miles. I have heard that there are some vans out there with 600-700K on them but have not directly heard from any of them or perhaps that was just a rumor.
I keep excellent maint. on this van and have not been down except: transmission replaced at 300K, a few altinators(this might be because I run an extra 2ea 27 series deep cycles for coach power) and the A/C.
What really through me off is that I lost my electronic camshaft sensor on the way to pickup a load and this takes you down hard with a tow in required.
If I am reaching a point where this is going to become routine and I can't be counted on to be reliable to a reasonable extent then it may be time to quit. That is my first service failure where it threw the company into a pinch, I have had a previous one but it was on a weekend load.

God Bless You:) :) :)

Big Al