power sterring fluid

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Got a question? How often are you suposed to change the power sterring fluid? I had a guy tell me never, and I think he's nuts. I am guessing by saying about 75000 miles, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? (its for a tractor, 2000 freightliner columbia)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Heyyyy Paperback!!! Someone told me you are running your truck so hard, that you had to replace the steer tires already?

Where have you been? Haven’t seen you on the forum lately!!!

BUT!!! To answer your Q. I really won’t know either. That is a good Q. Now who knows the real deal? AND WHY!!! Does steering fluid break down like tranny fluid?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have run 3 D units boocoup miles on all of them and have never changed or added power steering fluid. If the trucks maintenance and service guidelines do not tell me to do it ,I don!t.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't have my handy-dandy Freightliner maintenance schedule with me at the moment, but I will check it tomorrow and see when and if it calls for a steering fluid change. I'm going to guess it's not too often, as there really is no source for fluid contamination in a steering system. One of these schedules should have come with your truck Paperback, look around for it- an 8.5 x 11 booklet about 50 pages in it, I think its called "Periodic maintenance and lubrication guide."
-Weave-

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the feedback, but it's not my truck me and my buddy were talking about. I took myself a nice vacation after the mess with my trucks. Found out one of the drivers cousins was the "master mind" of taking my trucks. He will be going to jail soon:7 As for me, I went to the homeland (Ireland- Glaway) for some much needed R&R. It was nice going by myself and seeing family without my wife and son. Now I'm back, and trying to figure out what I'm gonna do now. Look forward to see if weave finds out anything on this, take care all, Paperback