Possibly gettting in

ringandrun

Expert Expediter
Hi All,
I am new to this so please excuse the ignorance to the business. I am a firefighter and would like to make income on days off. I am looking at a cargo van E-250. I run occasionally with a parcel delivery service, but that work is not reliable (but profitable when the freight is up). I would like to be able to pick up LTL and expedited freight on a limited basis. I have lots of questions...
Should I make my own corporation?
I know I need insurance...who offers it and how much is it?
Do I need to register with DOT?
Do I have to obey the 10 hour rule or stop at weigh stations?
Do I need my own authority? How do I get it and how much?
Does the vehicle need to be registered as commerical...even though it will be used only 50% of the time for business use?
How would I handle billing (how do some of you do it?)
I have heard about some freight websites...but havent located any. Are they any good at finding freight? If so, how do you access the internet from the road?

I know thats alot...but I appreciate any feedback. By the way, I live in SW Ohio.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll answer your question from the perspective of being an expeditor and the father of a firefighter.

My advice to my son was to study for the Lt exams, be the best firefighter he can, and take on some overtime when it is available. He spent many weeks in that terrible pit in New York digging thru the rubble.

From the expeditor side, the way you're discussing seems like a very stressful approach to life. You will be looking at mostly deadheading back home as you don't have time to sit and wait for a load. That is also expensive. Being available only 3 days a week will not find you many steady customers. Expensive again, as you have the fixed costs of truck payments, insurance, tags, etc. before the wheels ever turn.

If you really need to do this, I only see two effective ways. Hire or partner with someone to drive the truck the other 3 days so it is available more to your customers, or give up firefighting and do this. I have found it is really difficult to serve two masters, and do it well. Luck to you.

Vernon

mbar

Expert Expediter
With only limited time off you might want to check with a local delivery service in your area and get in as a Independent Contractor. That way you can work local and as many days as you have availably. That would give you the ability to make some extra money and stay close to home. I would look in the Yellow pages or go to WWW.superpages.com and look in your area.

G

Another alternative might be as an "extra" for a local courier company. I did this for a couple years while I was working full time at a restaurant. I didn't have a nickel invested, and picked up a few bucks on days off.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have used my D unit on a part-time basis with a couple of expediter companies. As a part timer you will be on the bottom of the list for loads. The company will give the full time drivers top priority - and rightfully so. Also, as a part timer, most of the large companies were not interested in having me driver for them. If you got a load out of Dayton/Cinn. area, lets say to Detroit or Chicago, it could be difficult to get a load back to central or southern Ohio. Since you would have to get back to the firehouse, you would not be available to sit for 3 - 4 days to wait for a return load.

My suggestion is to find a local company and to stay in the home area.
Or you could do like my neighbor does and paint houses for extra money.

Drive Safe