Possible input on my truck dilemma

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Hey gang,

I just got my password problem fixed and can now post again, but for the past several months, have been dilligently monitoring all the posts, and man what a great resource this is.
I have a question which could almost be considered a dilemma, but it is manageable at this point. Heres my deal: I bought an 04 Ford F650 dock high straight truck about a little over a year and a half ago. When I purchased it, I was using it working for a local operation, hauling skids of USPS parcels. When I ordered this truck, I got it with an extra long 28 foot box, and a roll up door. As a result, the box will not accomodate the real large fork lifts, due to the much shorter height. Getting it converted to barn doors is not an option simply because the overall height of the box is still way too short. I have not had any problems really, as the couple exceptions where they only had one size forklift, and that was the real big one, I always carry chains, and some places have pallet jacks. Unfortunately, some of the plants nowadays will kick you out of the plant just for looking at the docks, let alone going out on them.

Thats the first problem. The second problem is, I really need a sleeper, not only for comfort, but for legality. I get a motel when I really need to, or if I know I am going to be stuck for a couple days, but off the record, I have slept many an hour in my cab (comfortably, believe it or not). How feasible is it for me to take my truck to a place, and trade in my box for either a new, taller and shorter one, and get a small sleeper mounted to it?

I would love to get one of these beautiful rigs that International makes, with the huge sleeper and what not, but I still owe a good sume to the bank, and everybody knows how easy it is to get out from under a used truck. A Ford may not be what an Expediter envisions as being a good truck for our type of work, and I would tend to agree on many a day, but, I stay true to the philosophy that you have to make do with what you have, and this is what I am going to have for a good couple years at least.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide, and if any of you ever see a white f650 with On Time Express on the doors, give me a shout. See ya!

Scott

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Your first problem of dock high, forklift problem, I would invest in a pallet jack and keep the foklifts out of your truck. Those bozo's do nothing but tear up your truck anyway! Second problem how about stretch what you have and add a used 60 inch sleeper or 72 unit off of a wrecked truck. These are plentiful and cheap. Like you said sometimes you just gotta run what you have until you get better established. Good luck.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I don't think streaching the truck is going to be a option. Most states allow a single unit to be 40 feet. 28 feet of box, 5 feet of sleeper and close to 9 feet of truck in front of that. Could be a problem. Shop around for a shorter box that will fit your needs a 22 foot box would allow for 6 feet of sleeper on the same frame :)

I would agree, keep the fork trucks out of the truck. We have a truck that just got back from Alabama with 2 fork size holes through the front of the box, the back of the sleeper and one went trough the heat/ac unit for the sleeper. Fork driver must have been going mach to do that kind of damage.

I've slept pretty good in the F650's, the steerlings too.. But your right, your risking it with a day cab.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Finding a used box and sleeper is good advice . But think things out . What will this conversion cost you ? I think if you'll do some checking on prices on expediter trucks and day cabs you may find a day cab is worth more after 5 or 6 years . You won't recover the cost of the conversion and your truck will be even harder to trade off . What if you took what it would cost you to add a sleeper and buy a different box and put that amount towards trading your truck for one with a sleeper ?

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the valuable input. I know there are a couple places in the Detroit area that do this kind of work, and I am thinking if I can just trade my box (it is less than 2 years old) for a smaller box, and pick up a used sleeper somewhere, I could do all right. I am still weighing all options of course. I am definately maxed out on length, so expanding would not be an option.
I am just curious, you guys make reference to just using a pallet jack. It seems that all the plants I go in and out of (90 percent of our work is automotive) you are not even allowed on the docks anymore. I have a pallet jack, but dont even bother taking it, as I am not even allowed in the area when they are loading or unloading. They do beat the hell out of the trucks, and if I had my way, they would not go on at all. The other problem is the racks and baskets we get loaded with. Some racks are as wide as the box is, and unmoveable with a pallet jack.

Scott

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
It sounds like you get a good amount of work where there isn't a need for a pallet jack . For some they are very useful , especially allowing load transfers without hunting for a dock . I once heard of a driver at a scale in IL offering $100 to anyone that would let him use a pallet jack for 10 minutes . He was overweight on his rear axle and they wouldn't let him leave until he was legal . IL has zero tolerance . I have seen plenty of cranes at their scales shifting loads on everything from scrap metal to heavy equipment tires .

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Check with Ellenbaum truck sales, they are in MI. They build a LOT of expediters. I am sure they have the used stuff or maybe they will trade your truck in on one that fits your needs. A word to the wise though, some of their trucks are builders (read as wrecks) so be sure you know what you are buying if you buy a truck from them.

www.trucksforsale.com

If my post is aginst site policy (advertising) accept my apology in advance and delete or edit at will.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talk to Jon Mosier at Freightliner of Knoxville. They do expediters all the time and have numerous units on hand in all configurations and price range. They may be able to set you up on a trade for no more than the costs to convert what you have. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey woober-
Here is a link to a post about a used sleeper for sale in MI...maybe something you want to look at...

http://roundtable.truck.net/viiewt.php?t=46966

mcbride-
O/O-Super D unit-Team-6yrs
--What goes around comes around--
LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those held by the posting author and do not represent the views or opinions of Expediters Online.com, On Time Media, LLC, it's agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertisers or sponsors.