PM budget for a CV/Sprinter

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They didn't make 09s if memory serves me correct.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They didn't make 09s if memory serves me correct.

Just did a quick search on Autotrader and found 3 2009 Sprinters, now those were only the Dodge's which I think was the last year for Dodge????? Probably more Freightliners for the 2009 model year but they dont list Freightliner.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Won't be the last time I'm wrong.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If it is at least 14 1/2 feet I will probably get one.
If I remember correctly, the transit is just shy of 14'....something like 13.8 or 13.9 feet (13'9" or 10"). There is a thread here on the transit and somebody posted a spec sheet. Some of us are planning to go to the auto show in Detroit to see it too....this month, I think?

eugene

Active Expediter
I run an E 350 & a sprinter, they vary greatly in repair cost. I use .10 cpm as an overall cost. The sprinter tranmission was $ 7,200 to replace alone if you don"t have that put aside it hurts even more

Sent from my VM670 using EO Forums

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Put the van in the shop Tue. Wife and I are out of town till next week so probably will get it back Wed.

During a discussion of the "menu" items for a 80k service it was pointed out to me that there has been a problem with an exhaust hanger at the engine cracking then breaking. If it breaks, the exhaust falls a little. Then the heat gets to the Def filler area causing a major leak and Def spewing everywhere.

Sure enough mine is cracked. About a $150 fix.

Also had a seal on the turbo leaking oil slightly. Got that covered under warranty.

Waiting to hear about the hanger if that will be covered under warranty. I say recall!

Mercedes has extended the coolant flush and rear end fluid change to 150k miles. Will probably get it done at 120-130k.

Belts are being replaced and as a precaution the tensioner also. $450.
Getting the old tensioner back to use as an emergency fix.

When I get the final, I'll post what was done and the numbers.

Wanted to give a heads up on the exhaust bracket. Might want to have yours checked if your in a 10,11 or 2012 Sprinter.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums mobile app

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Ok, got the van back yesterday. Total bill $1804.94. However they took pretty good care of me this time because of the negative review I gave last time. The parts that I did pay for, I got at or below wholesale. Something's were performed under warranty.

Note: the vacuum hose from the vacuum pump to the brake booster is a problem. First off, the hose is a plastic type hose preformed. Both end fittings are also plastic, and had to come from Germany. Because of the location, the one fitting at the brake booster becomes brittle. When changing the fuel filter, the hose is kinda in the way. It should be disconnected and removed when changing the fuel filter. Somewhere in the service history of replacing fuel filters at various dealers, that fitting got cracked. They tried to glue it. It probably held for a little while, but it finally broke completely, reducing braking power. You might be able to tell the difference at the brake peddle. Push it once, let off and reapply. If the peddle feels higher and firmer there may be a crack in the fitting. There was no charge to replace this hose and fittings. The dealer cost for the 3 pieces is about $30.

The seal ring on the turbo was replace under warranty. No charge.

They checked the AC and tightened the compressor bolts at no charge.

80k service $907.97 parts and labor
Tighten all under carriage bolts, replace cabin filter, oil & filter change, transmission fluid & filter change, fuel filter change, top off all fluids, plug in the computer and diagnostics. Check suspension, steering components and brake system. Check DPF filter level. Did not do engine air filter because I had it done on last pm.

Replace both belts and tensioner, check other pulleys. $302.56 parts and labor
The main drive belt had been replace at about 38k miles at the dealership in Novi, MI. They stripped the torx heads on the fan. Took them a while to get it off. Put new bolts back in.

Replace both fuel supply hoses at the fuel filter and clamps $140.79
When these shops get the clamps on the wrong hose or use the wrong type of pliers to remove and replace the clamps, the hoses get messed up. I think one is a 14mm and the other is a 15mm. Pretty much look the same sitting on the bench. Not color coded.

Alignment $199,95
They have real nice equipment to do the 4 wheel alignment at this shop. Really didn't need it. Checked out good.

Replace cracked exhaust bracket $$189.43
Bracket $14 labor $175.43

This is the one a warned about in a previous post. It definitely had a crack in it. And guess what, the one they put will probably also crack somewhere down the road. Mercedes hasn't acknowledged this as a problem yet.

Shop supplies $30

Labor $1200.02 Parts $540.68 Shop supplies $30 Sales tax $34.24 total $1804.94

I did get the tensioner that they removed back. Starting to make some sounds. Probably a good thing I replaced.

All in all I am pleased with this job. Displeased that there are dealerships in the network putting out crappy work.

mzraik

Active Expediter
If I remember correctly, the transit is just shy of 14'....something like 13.8 or 13.9 feet (13'9" or 10"). There is a thread here on the transit and somebody posted a spec sheet. Some of us are planning to go to the auto show in Detroit to see it too....this month, I think?

Yep, I might head to the show as well. Also, look for the Nissan NV400 - This is the cargo van they use in Europe. I would have to say that from what I can read about, it will give the new Ford a run for they money. Until, I can lay hands on it and measure this and that and get a price to the specs on the L3H3 version and compare, the Ford is in the front of the line and is available in 2013.

These 2 vans are visually very similar, so it will be down to the specs and money.