PM budget for a CV/Sprinter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Someone could use 1/3 van expenses, 1/3 fuel and 1/3 driver pay as a rough estimate starting point, subject to continual refinement as more data becomes available.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone could use 1/3 van expenses, 1/3 fuel and 1/3 driver pay as a rough estimate starting point, subject to continual refinement as more data becomes available.

so on $66,000 GROSS you'd say about $20,000-$22,000 APPROX...? That leaves a lot of money to PM a sprinter very well...hmmmm

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just a rough estimate I've heard some people use, including PM's, tires, washes, etc. etc. also. It should definitely be enough to do all the PM needed though.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
So is that 1/3 van expense include the van payment, or the savings to buy new van, or does that come from drivers pay?

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The payment comes out of the van 1/3 I think, although I guess it all depends on how each individual does their own thing.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Funny thing....no actual numbers?

We should also be very careful as to what year model Sprinter we're talking about. We all know that pre'07 sprinters have a completely different and better operating cost. Problem is...there are very few pre 07's left out there that are worth owning.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thing is some of these high priced repairs should be close to warranty....or HOPEFULLY a one shot deal as in a faulty part...NOT all these high priced repairs are on going...hopefully....Yes...the 07's and up are more expensive to maintain....on a per mile cost...

We have established long time ago that a Sprinter is NOT an entry level vehicle unless one has deep pockets during the learning curve...

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Since this thread was started in an obvious attempt to get away from the other thread...I'll go ahead and ask some of the same questions here :D

The links in my previous post are for the most part discussing the repair issues and very expensive parts in the Sprinter DEF system. Below is an excerpt form another thread copied and pasted here:
........ For example a "B" service runs between $500 to $600 because on a "B" service the DEF system is flushed to get out any crap that could affect the system. Then they got a fill it. At $5 a liter vs $2.+ a gallon, the cost of that service gets up there. "B" is done every 20k miles. That sure drives up the operating costs per mile......

Point being. It appears the DEF system can get expensive. The B service, even at half the cost, when added to the $200 oil change is going to get expensive. One person mentioned that it cost him $2800 just to replace the tank. But wait, it gets even better. The poster in this thread:http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...def-system-repair-solution-previous-post.html says that he was into his problem for about $3,000 BEFORE they actually found the problem which cost almost another $2,000 to fix.

But wait...it gets even better still (says Ron Popeil :D). That is just referring to the DEF system. That's not even the expensive part. The DPF is the expensive part. The same poster in the above linked thread says that replacement of the DPF is about $5,000 and I know that we have seen other discussions on this forum about that exact thing...so it does happen. I do believe that it's less than $5k though. the number I've heard is $4,000 at a MB shop. There are alternatives, but their still not cheap and their not MB approved. Since so many Sprinter owners claim that you must follow MB maintenance recommendations very strictly, I can't imagine doing anything that is not MB approved?

But wait, there is still more :D. Proper maintenance of the DPF will likely extend the life so as to avoid those astronomical replacement costs. So I looked online and found a maintenance manual for the Sprinter here: http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/files/manuals/2012_Mercedes_Benz_Sprinter_Maintenance_Manual.pdf

On page 9 of that manual, it says this:
Checking the diesel particle filter
The level of the diesel particle filter must be
checked during the fourth maintenance
service for the first time.
If the level of the diesel particle filter is still
below the limit value during the fourth
maintenance service, the diesel particle filter
level should be checked again at every Oil
Service Plus or maintenance service.
If the level of the diesel particle filter is above
the limit value, the diesel particle filter should
be replaced.
Once the new diesel particle filter has been
installed, the check cycle begins again after
the fourth maintenance service.

So, if I understand this correctly, after the 4th service (40,000 miles?) you need to start checking the DPF filter at every service. That tells me that after 40,000 miles they are expecting it to be not a matter of "if" but "when" will you see the $4,000 replacement.

I'm not trying to be difficult so much as I'm trying to get some actual numbers. Anyone who knows anything about '07 or newer Sprinters knows that they can get real expensive to maintain...real fast. The $2 comment ignores that fact completely and totally. I would love to see someone post some actual, real numbers. Not telling the truth about the actual costs to own and maintain a vehicle misleads those who read these forums to gather information and make decisions on a major purchase. Leading them to believe that if they buy a Sprinter, they will not have any costs to maintain it is unprofessional, snarky, and counterproductive to a quality message forum.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since this thread was started in an obvious attempt to get away from the other thread...I'll go ahead and ask some of the same questions here :D

The links in my previous post are for the most part discussing the repair issues and very expensive parts in the Sprinter DEF system. Below is an excerpt form another thread copied and pasted here:

Point being. It appears the DEF system can get expensive. The B service, even at half the cost, when added to the $200 oil change is going to get expensive. One person mentioned that it cost him $2800 just to replace the tank. But wait, it gets even better. The poster in this thread:http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...def-system-repair-solution-previous-post.html says that he was into his problem for about $3,000 BEFORE they actually found the problem which cost almost another $2,000 to fix.

But wait...it gets even better still (says Ron :D). That is just referring to the DEF system. That's not even the expensive part. The DPF is the expensive part. The same poster in the above linked thread says that replacement of the DPF is about $5,000 and I know that we have seen other discussions on this forum about that exact thing...so it does happen. I do believe that it's less than $5k though. the number I've heard is $4,000 at a MB shop. There are alternatives, but their still not cheap and their not MB approved. Since so many Sprinter owners claim that you must follow MB maintenance recommendations very strictly, I can't imagine doing anything that is not MB approved?

But wait, there is still more :D. Proper maintenance of the DPF will likely extend the life so as to avoid those astronomical replacement costs. So I looked online and found a maintenance manual for the Sprinter here: http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/files/manuals/2012_Mercedes_Benz_Sprinter_Maintenance_Manual.pdf

On page 9 of that manual, it says this:

So, if I understand this correctly, after the 4th service (40,000 miles?) you need to start checking the DPF filter at every service. That tells me that after 40,000 miles they are expecting it to be not a matter of "if" but "when" will you see the $4,000 replacement.

I'm not trying to be difficult so much as I'm trying to get some actual numbers. Anyone who knows anything about '07 or newer Sprinters knows that they can get real expensive to maintain...real fast. The $2 comment ignores that fact completely and totally. I would love to see someone post some actual, real numbers. Not telling the truth about the actual costs to own and maintain a vehicle misleads those who read these forums to gather information and make decisions on a major purchase. Leading them to believe that if they buy a Sprinter, they will not have any costs to maintain it is unprofessional, snarky, and counterproductive to a quality message forum.

NO one is denying owning a sprinter can be more expensive to operate....

You keep referring to these repairs as if they are normal, I doubt these repairs are common place ....A bad sensor can happen under any circumstances....

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After your out of warrenty you can get a reprogramed CPU to remove the dpf filter and cancel the tank. Also improves mileage and performance. Reviews I have read from actual users has been good. Getting the CPU, removing dpf etc. Would probably run about twenty grand.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yikes, $4,000 potential beginning at 40k and again at 40k after the eventually inevitable replacement? That's a potential 10cpm operating cost all by itself plus the DEF and all the rest. Yikes. :eek:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
After your out of warrenty you can get a reprogramed CPU to remove the dpf filter and cancel the tank. Also improves mileage and performance. Reviews I have read from actual users has been good. Getting the CPU, removing dpf etc. Would probably run about twenty grand.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

I have read bout the dpf removal and yes, that would likely help it a lot. It is also very, very illegal and comes with some serious fines if caught. It also makes getting any kind of service work done a a dealership very risky business. I'm not going to go dig it up, but I read a thread some time ago on EO's sister site SpinterSource.com (or whatever the name is). Somebody had a dpf delete done and at some point later, had something else throw a code. Short version, when he got to the MB dealer, they found the dpf to be deleted and would not allow the van (citing federal law) off the premises until all emissions systems were intact and working.

With that said, let's say you do buy a new Sprinter, then do the dpf delete....and get caught, either at a dealer or by law enforcement. How are you going to get out of that? You can't tell 'em it was done before you got the vehicle? If I were going to do the dpf delete, I would consider a used Sprinter to do it.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Yikes, $4,000 potential beginning at 40k and again at 40k after the eventually inevitable replacement? That's a potential 10cpm operating cost all by itself plus the DEF and all the rest. Yikes. :eek:

Just the facts! :D

I don't think you'll see 10 cents/mile in repair costs to the emissions systems. But if you buy a Sprinter and put the miles on it that we do, I don't think you'll see anywhere near 0 cents/mile repair costs on the emissions sytems either.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hopefully they'll get the bugs out of the DPF system....and aftermarket parts will hit the system to help lower costs....

Crapshooter has 6 of these beasts, too bad he couldn't chime in with how the DPF system is with his fleet....

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hopefully they'll get the bugs out of the DPF system....and aftermarket parts will hit the system to help lower costs....
yeah but....Im not sure that I would want to bank on what "might" happen. Most people that I've heard from that have problems are sometimes a few grand into the guessing game before they actually FIND the problem.

Crapshooter has 6 of these beasts, too bad he couldn't chime in with how the DPF system is with his fleet....
He replaces his vans what...every two years? Probably not a bad idea with a Sprinter, but that ain't FREE either.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah but....Im not sure that I would want to bank on what "might" happen. Most people that I've heard from that have problems are sometimes a few grand into the guessing game before they actually FIND the problem.

He replaces his vans what...every two years? Probably not a bad idea with a Sprinter, but that ain't FREE either.

I've been down the "Guessing Game" route once.... when mine was newer...and parts were hard to come by....every part was "special"....LOL

What I meant about Crapshooter is....are them 6 vans having a lot of DPF problems?....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
These machines list for, what? 50,000 new? For that kind of scratch for a new vehicle, I'd like to have some assurance that it won't cost me the price of another new vehicle every 40,000 miles. Plus the cost of downtime while the geniuses guess what might be wrong ON MY DIME. If they're just replacing parts and racking up time guessing, I don't need them. I can buy expensive parts and guess what might need replacing without paying an exorbitant hourly labor rate.

Sorry Charlie, you're not exactly impressing me with these things. I need a reason to replace my gas Chevy with one of these Sprinters some day, and so far all I'm reading here is that I should buy another gas Chevy or Ford. It's still a pain watching the trained monkeys waste hours guessing, but still maybe not quite so outrageously expensive.