plug off a EGR in detroit or cummins isx ?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I am looking at a couple newer tractors and they both have egr engines and after hearing and reading the egr nightmares I am wanting to bypass or plug off kit the egrs? My question is is it worth it or should I just leave the egr on ? here is a ISX kit I found on ebay.

CUMMINS ISX CM870 EGR DELETE KIT | eBay

I could do the manual work myself and then have my mechanic reprogram the ecm for me at their shop.

My mechanic says it is my call to bypass the system. ok and I see the bypass isx kit is a cummins OEM set so maybe it is possible.

Thanks for your help drivers

Ian

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I beleive it is a Federal Offense to remove any factory installed federally mandated emission systems on any type of engine that will be used in an onhighway application.
suggest you check into this before doing.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have EGR issues on our Volvo D-12 engine but will not plug it off. We will instead live with the inconvenience and expense of replacing the valves every 300,000 miles or so as they fail.

Mechanics told me stories of drivers who blocked off their EGR valves and later had major engine failures as a result. We'd rather live with the extra penny per mile of added maintenance costs than risk a major repair that could cost far more.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
We have EGR issues on our Volvo D-12 engine but will not plug it off. We will instead live with the inconvenience and expense of replacing the valves every 300,000 miles or so as they fail.

Mechanics told me stories of drivers who blocked off their EGR valves and later had major engine failures as a result. We'd rather live with the extra penny per mile of added maintenance costs than risk a major repair that could cost far more.

your lucky I ran a xin of a 2006 columbia with detroit 14l and the truck has had 15 egr's in 3 years insanity.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If you modify, disconnect or block the EGR and get inspected in California it's $1,000 fine, no questions asked. :cool: