Planet fitness or Anytime fitness better for expediting?

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
And I have made my decision, after looking at both very carefully, it's going to be Anytime Fitness! Now for me, it's not about the workout, it's about the showers. Some PF isn't 24/7 and for me I need a place to take showers 24/7. So ATF wins!

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I have made my decision, after looking at both very carefully, it's going to be Anytime Fitness! Now for me, it's not about the workout, it's about the showers. Some PF isn't 24/7 and for me I need a place to take showers 24/7. So ATF wins!
A expediting friend of mine likes A F .... currently he is sitting in 1 of these ..
0c98a81f212b65bb85dfded5dceda84f.jpg

another day .. another pond

Reactions: DollarSign

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
A expediting friend of mine likes A F .... currently he is sitting in 1 of these ..

That looks like PF with the purple gear logo on the wall. I love it though, lets go to the gym so we can sit in a comfy chair hahah.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

That looks like PF with the purple gear logo on the wall. I love it though, lets go to the gym so we can sit in a comfy chair hahah.
Zoom in, that is PF. Go ahead and enjoy!

Reactions: RoadTime

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah thats another good point. Also AF seems to be a less popular gym so wont be as crowded.

I know i see PF's in big shopping centers where you could probably park a semi, so straights should have any issue, but i just hope that most AFs will have a big enough parking lot to accommodate us.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Wanting to throw this out and see what everyone thinks. I was just thinking, since I'm going to sign up at ATF, would it be crazy to go ahead and sign up at PF also? PF is only $22 a month.

If for some reason that ATF is not close and PF is right around the corner then I could go there. Just another ace in my pocket. ATeam chime in!

Now I must let everyone know, I don't use truckstop fuel. I go to the Shells, Exxon, BP ect. This is the reason for the showers. And I'm paying $12 to $15 a day just for showers. Just a little more info.

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Yeah thats another good point. Also AF seems to be a less popular gym so wont be as crowded.

I know i see PF's in big shopping centers where you could probably park a semi, so straights should have any issue, but i just hope that most AFs will have a big enough parking lot to accommodate us.
I'll go ahead and warn you, if your going into a Str8, ATF will be hard. The parking lots are small due to being in strip malls like you stated.

Last edited:

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
How much is ATF a month?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
according to that PF vs AF article on page 2, AF is $40 a month plus another $40 in "registration fees". PF is $20 for the membership we need, and the registration fees depend on the club you sign up at i guess.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Wanting to throw this out and see what everyone thinks. I was just thinking, since I'm going to sign up at ATF, would it be crazy to go ahead and sign up at PF also? PF is only $22 a month.

If for some reason that ATF is not close and PF is right around the corner then I could go there. Just another ace in my pocket. ATeam chime in!

Now I must let everyone know, I don't use truckstop fuel. I go to the Shells, Exxon, BP ect. This is the reason for the showers. And I'm paying $12 to $15 a day just for showers. Just a little more info.
Jeez, Bill Gates over here with his 2 gym memberships!

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

I'll go ahead and warm you, if your going into a Str8, ATF will be hard. The parking lots are small due to being in strip malls like you stated.
Yeah i figured as much. Hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle, possibly can find parking within a quarter mile and get a nice warm up jog there. Still not totally sure about St8 for an owner or van as O/O anyway.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Update! After much thought I've decided to get both PF and ATF. It will be a total of $52 a month for both. I'm spending $60 In 5 days just for showers at PFJ! At a TA/Petro Its $14 to $15 for a shower! It's a HUGH savings for me. Also since we do alot of sitting and laying down, getting on a treadmill for 30 mins to 1hr isn't a bad thing!

The reason I did both was of price and more choices. Its a total of 4500 hundred gyms and If I'm close to a PF and it's closed "not all PF are open 24/7" there's a good chance that ATF is close by. At ATF you have to wait 30 days before your able to go to any other ATF location. Also good parking and should be able to park there at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: dc843 and RoadTime

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Diane and I drove a 40' straight truck and used over 100 Anytime Fitness clubs around the country. More often than not, straight truck parking was easy. It was rare that we could not find a place to park near an AF gym. Most of the time we could spend the night or nights.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

If your purpose is showers, $22/month additional to gain 1,000 more locations seems to make sense; especially if you are paying $12 to $15 for showers now. Most gyms are busiest before people go to work and after work. You'll find showers most available if you avoid the 7-9 am and 5-7 pm times on weekdays.

On the other hand, gyms locate where they do for a reason. The market characteristics that draw one gym also draw others. I have not done a study but my guess would be that where you find a Planet, you will also find Anytime Fitness nearby. For example, in our market, planet is four miles from us.

It would not work the other way around (where you find an AF you may also find an AF). We have many more locations, many of which are in smaller markets Planet would not consider.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Popularity is a relative term. Anytime Fitness has over 3 million members, which makes it popular by any standard. There are other gym brands that have fewer locations but more members. The difference is they serve thousands of members per location. Most AF clubs serve hundreds.

For expediter purposes, the question is not about popularity but availability. Will a gym be close to you wherever you happen to be? Will it be overcrowded when you want to use it? The high number of AF locations and the fact that our clubs are rarely overcrowded (all gyms get packed full in January) give the edge to AF. If saving $20 a month matters more to you, Planet is the way to go.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
according to that PF vs AF article on page 2, AF is $40 a month plus another $40 in "registration fees". PF is $20 for the membership we need, and the registration fees depend on the club you sign up at i guess.

Your are correct about Anytime Fitness. Enrollment fees vary by location because each club sets its own rates.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Something else to consider if you join Planet Fitness. If you vizit any one gym more than 10 times a month (except your home gym) you will have to pay $5 per visit (may vary from location to location.)

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Something else to consider if you join Planet Fitness. If you vizit any one gym more than 10 times a month (except your home gym) you will have to pay $5 per visit (may vary from location to location.)

Thats a pretty weird rule but i think it would be pretth effortless to avoid that.

Spedz13

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Our gym is in Port Orange, FL
I-95, Exit 256

3761 S Nova Road
Port Orange, FL 32129
(386) 243-5640

If you are planning a visit, give us as much advance notice as you can. Diane and I will try to set you up with a trainer (free of charge, call it the expediter special) to provide some workout tips you can use on the road. Offer not valid Jan, Feb and Mar. Those are the months we get slammed with new business and staff has little or no free time.

Ya thats when the "I am going to get in shape this year" people are starting and then leaving LOL I aint gonna lie I need to get to a gym but I refuse to make it a new years resolution!!!!