Permit question

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Alright, I'm thinking about starting to do hot shot work - I did some small stuff with my little 1/2 ton and loved it. So I'm thinking bout buying a nice F350 and going heavy. What do I need to consider when it comes to permits, etc? The truck would weigh in at about 13k, and I can haul up to a 18k 5th wheel with it. So I'm over the 26k weight I know so do I need IRP, IFTA, etc? How bout other permits? Logging? I do know I need to get my own DOT/MC #, full commercial insurance to include liability, truck, and cargo. I did read that story someone posted earlier about hotshoting but didn't find out much info from the those sites. Thanks in advance for any help.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Alright, I'm thinking about starting to do hot shot work - I did some small stuff with my little 1/2 ton and loved it. So I'm thinking bout buying a nice F350 and going heavy. What do I need to consider when it comes to permits, etc? The truck would weigh in at about 13k, and I can haul up to a 18k 5th wheel with it. So I'm over the 26k weight I know so do I need IRP, IFTA, etc? How bout other permits? Logging? I do know I need to get my own DOT/MC #, full commercial insurance to include liability, truck, and cargo. I did read that story someone posted earlier about hotshoting but didn't find out much info from the those sites. Thanks in advance for any help.

I guess you didn't learn much from those hotshot sites . If you want a nice F-350 you're going to have to find an old 7.3 Powerstroke . Hotshotters avoid newer Fords like the plague . They have too many problems and get poor fuel mileage .
I don't know how you figure the truck would weigh in at 13k . I know a lot of dually owners . Fully equipped they weigh in around 8,000 lbs . That would put you right at 26,000 lbs . It's crazy to get IFTA to barely go over 26,000 lbs . Either stay under 26,000 or go over 30,000 to get enough extra freight to make the expense worthwhile . Do that though and you'll need a medium duty truck because even 26,000 lbs. is pushing the limits of a 1 ton .

moose

Veteran Expediter
There is a small car carrier that service the Dealers in the metro area with a 3 car hauler trailers ,
i can't remember their name , but when i called them a few years back , they were very helpful and informative,
just call Dealers like Stillwater ford , or Furry Dodge ...
or call the auction house in Brooklyn Park ,and ask them to fax you a list of car haulers to ship a car.

Now you do know that i have a well equipped F350 sitting at the driveway for a year now , do you ?
it's yours if you like ...

i will also suggest adding air bags for such a heavy trailer.

Let us know if you are making money :)

Good luck ,
Moose.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I stand corrected - the GCWR on the 09 F350 is 26k - 15k pulled trailer, 17,700 on a 5th wheel. So then I wouldn't need to deal with permits or fuel tax, just my DOT/MC number and insurance. The F450 on the other hand, GCWR is 33k, 16k pulled, 24,500 5th wheel. I think that's a tad overkill. Thanks for the advice. And Moose, what's the specs on your F350 there.