Pay...van owner/driver...how does it work?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I had trucks that was considered "truck pay" and was split 50/50 since both the truck and the people were being relocated. The same with layover pay. Not sure how others do it.

Reactions: sierra98

sierra98

New Recruit
Driver
Another weird question, the owner is now asking me to provide a weekly odometer ready? Does anyone find that odd?

sierra98

New Recruit
Driver
I am not sure why she would not be trusting me. I've been out there on the road busting my a$$ and only getting paid 40% of the load. She thinks she is supposed to get all of the relocation monies, DH pay, and layover pay. Ugh!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not sure why she would not be trusting me. I've been out there on the road busting my a$$ and only getting paid 40% of the load. She thinks she is supposed to get all of the relocation monies, DH pay, and layover pay. Ugh!
Which carrier are you with if I may ask?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Relocation pay and DH pay are arguable based on who is paying for the fuel. With my teams we split those 80/20 with the side buying fuel getting 80% which was always the drivers with one exception for a month with one team that had to learn the hard way they made less at 40%. Anyway, that's how we did it. Layover pay, which was a rare thing, was split 50/50 because the same number of minutes were in the hours my truck wasn't moving and the hours my team wasn't moving. It seemed only fair that both sides be compensated for their time. I don't know what they said among themselves but they never once complained to me about the split.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator

What Ragman said.....what does your contract say? Contracts are always in favor of the entity that is getting you to sign it. That goes for contract drivers or owner ops contracting with a company. So keep that in mind.

Mileage could be because she doesn't trust you(believes more miles are being driven than should be based on loads and deadhead on settlements), or it could be for accounting/other business purposes. I for one use mileage for tax write-off's. So I keep track of mine pretty decently.

If you believe something is unfair, contact your owner, be courteous....try to negotiate for some of the pay you aren't getting. If they refuse, do what you think is best.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another weird question, the owner is now asking me to provide a weekly odometer ready? Does anyone find that odd?
If I were a van owner I would ask for a weekly odometer reading too, not for any trust issues but so I could keep track of vehicle maintenance issues and plan for preventative maintenance.