Passport Question

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
My boyfriend and I did a lot of research on this before we decided which way would work for us.

I got the passport card. Good for 10 years, took 3 weeks to get. $70.

My boyfriend, the actual OTR driver, got the Michigan Enhanced license. $80. Good for 4 years. From what we know right now, his renewal fee in four years will be $73. His includes CDL endorsement fees, so if you don't have those, it would be even less expensive, at least $25 less.

Both grant us entry into Canada, Mexico, Carribean by land or sea. To go by air, we would need the passport book.

The reason he went with the Enhanced license is two-fold: 1. he only has to show his license at the border crossings, where I have to show my license and passport card (less hassle for him) and 2. since this is for his profession, it is a business expense he can claim on his taxes.

If you have enhanced licensing available in your state, that may be the way to go.

If you want to save some $$ in the short term, go for the card. $70 for 10 years as opposed to $93 to $146 (depending on endorsement fees) total over 8 years.

The book is only needed if you think you will be traveling across borders via air.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
The CARD only allows travel between the US and Canada..it is like a reduced option...the FULL passport takes you anywhere in the world.....and IF your state offers an enhanced drivers license , they will accept that as well..

Ontario,
Have the Enhanced and have not had 1 problem yet

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Yes, my card is good for Canada, Mexico, Carribean. By land or sea, not air. Not valid for any other area no matter the means of travel. Fir that I would need the book.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This thread is old. For readers reading this today, notice how passport rules and requirements have changed in recent years. When considering the card v. book question, think about the cost difference being averaged out over ten years. Also think about the advantages of having a full-fledged passport in hand if the rules change again and they become even more difficult and expensive to get.

Finally, notice how convenient the book is compared to the card when you need to hop a flight to the Cayman Islands to do your banking. That is an advantage frequently overlooked by expediters.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some carriers will require a FAST card for drivers doing cross border runs. And they may cover the cost.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Lisa, I have enhanced license. I want to go to Carribean by land. My GPS won't route me. Got a good routing. Truck routing not needed. Taking the 'vertable.