Panther's Fuel Surcharge program.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
The new program is set at .37 cents a mile this week and will adjust each week on Tuesday to the National diesel index average. It's based on 8 miles per gallon straight truck and it is supose to keep fuel at $1.25 a loaded mile for straight truck owners.

My thoughts:

I think Panther should work more with the shippers and make sure they pay a fair fuel surcharge. While this program protects against unreasonable fuel surcharges it also keeps the contractor from getting above average fuel supplements and Panther uses that money to cover the lower fuel surcharges.

I am trying the program, but I am not sure if it was the best move or not. I am doing it on a trial and error basis.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually it's based on 9mpg. I wish it was based on 8mpg since that would be a more real world number and 9mpg is pie in the sky for a lot of operators. It could be good for someone who keeps d/h to a minimum and doesn't idle, otherwise I'm not sure.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Leo, I have been lucky my Cummins ISX class 8 has been getting 11.2 miles a gallon and my smaller 30126B has been getting around the same. They are both in the 22 to 24ft class. My drivers have been great about deahead.. They only move if I tell them to. I had a deadhead total of 200 miles last month between two trucks.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
I always tell them that if you want to pay for fuel you can move all over the place. They never move more then a few miles from the POD.. The key is to know where the truck stops are before you make the delivery and have a plan to prevent excess idle time. They also try to get empty move pay on deadhead over 30 miles and most of the time we have been lucky. We often get loads prebooked from the shipper we are delivering to outside of Panther's hot zone. Eastern Nebraska and Missouri tend to get prebooked before they even get there. Chicago has to be my favorite busy board with 26 loads going out a day for straight trucks. It's all about learning the secrets. Whe we go to Decatur IL just hang out next to the Cat factory because it's the only thing in town and if your around the corner from it you will get the load.

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Does the new rate apply to vans as well? I notice that Panther vans get anywhere from .15 to .65 cents per mile depending on the contract. pretty dumb to pay a high FSC to a van and a meager 30 something cents to a straight truck. Also, assuming there is going to be extra money in the pot depending on contrat... where does that go or is Panther adjusting the rates to shippers or just stuffing their pockets like they do with the escrolls they never return. Curious.

Thanks

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I would say they even out the high and low surcharges. Just curious how much are you saying that PII kept of your escrow?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For the drivers on the fixed surcharge program, whatever Panther receives in fsc from the customer goes into "the pot" as you call it. The truck receives whatever the fixed rate is. I believe it is 35cpm this week but I'm not on it so I could be mistaken about the amount. The extra from company A is used to complete the fsc for the job from company B when that fsc is only 22cpm or whatever lowball number they somehow got. The amount in "the pot" will continually be fluxuating as jobs are run.

Reactions: 1 person

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Never heard of someone who fulfilled to terms of their contract with PII not getting the amount of money they were due.

ds1450

Expert Expediter
I kinda thought that is what they would do to balance things out.... still, you have to wonder. Panther is pretty creative with their bookkeeping.

About my escrow.. we have agreed to disagree. Just a note to any drivers turning in their trucks... cross the T's and dot the I's and leave nothing to chance.

I was charged for a driver that had been with the company when he left and the other owners were charged as well. He had been through orientation once and 3 owners were charged. Stuff like that. Charged for lettering after 1 year and the van stayed on with Panther so there would be no new cost to letter the truck. It's the little things that add up. Anyway... be real carefull. other than that Panther Vans are the busiest right now and if you follow the rules and stay on top of any problems that arise (Be extremely proactive or they will walk all over you) Panther is still a good carrier. Of course Fed Ex is the best :) but that's just my un-biased opinion.

Have a nice and safe Holiday!