Panther Broker / loadboard... Anyone work with them?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well its time to change it up again, the local work is getting slow and whats there is paying crap. Im thinking about working with the cat as an independant service provider or fleet owner. I would like to know if anyone has worked with the broker side or at least can give me an idea of thier track record. Work, rate, am I required to have a leash/Qualcom, everything the good the bad and the ugly. The only thing I ask is if its negative tword panther be honest and tell me if and how you screwed up to have a problem especialy when it comes to money.....

Bob Wolf.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
We do the occasional load as a partner. You won't have any trouble getting paid. They're like clockwork as far as that goes. They like to skim off the accessorial pay though, like offering you weird amounts for dry runs and detention, so I figure they're charging more than that and offering outside carriers less. It also doesn't matter what tracking system you use; they're going to want to put your truck on Macropoint. We use track and trace through Sylectus and it's slow going getting their people to log in and get their tracking updates there. If we don't give them the driver's cell phone number so they can put him on Macropoint, they keep calling all hours for updates even though I've given them a login for track and trace. I have some of their day people trained on it, but at night it's another issue. Actually, they're not bad to partner with for the most part. They broker a lot of loads and often there are some decent runs posted there. Just stick to your guns if they call you and try to talk you down on your price.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you for the info. I dont have tracking at this point, so a cell number will be OK?

Bob Wolf.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for the info. I dont have tracking at this point, so a cell number will be OK?

Bob Wolf.

They send a text that downloads a tracking program on your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
They make a lot of mistakes so try and get a customer contact number. They will give you the right address in the wrong town. Incorrect delivery information. Dispatchers don't post information for other dispatchers. They are not very good at transposing time between time zones. To be fair, some mistakes belong to the customer, but panther still makes plenty of them. If their mistake costs you money, they will generally make some kind of adjustment. If they can't track you eletronically, they will drive you crazy with location updates.
Their load board is easy enough to use. Some loads get a good rate, most get bid down pretty low. At times, they will call you (usually in the middle of the night). Thar's the time to get a good rate. I got the impression a lot of their night crew were recent college grads in a entry level position. I should add that I have not brokered a load from them in a couple years so some of this could be old news.
Why limit yourself to Panther? I used to get some good loads from On-Time and Bolt. On-Time dispatch was by phone.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
They make a lot of mistakes so try and get a customer contact number. They will give you the right address in the wrong town. Incorrect delivery information. Dispatchers don't post information for other dispatchers. They are not very good at transposing time between time zones. To be fair, some mistakes belong to the customer, but panther still makes plenty of them. If their mistake costs you money, they will generally make some kind of adjustment. If they can't track you eletronically, they will drive you crazy with location updates.
Their load board is easy enough to use. Some loads get a good rate, most get bid down pretty low. At times, they will call you (usually in the middle of the night). Thar's the time to get a good rate. I got the impression a lot of their night crew were recent college grads in a entry level position. I should add that I have not brokered a load from them in a couple years so some of this could be old news.
Why limit yourself to Panther? I used to get some good loads from On-Time and Bolt. On-Time dispatch was by phone.

I use the broker board and bid on the loads don't get the winning bid much. just depends if you are a straight or semi you might do good but I am only running vans. and those loads move fast mostly short runs they don't even want to pay a buck per mile on them most of the time. the best run I have ever gotten from them was MN to OR I think I actually got $1.30 on that one. I would hope that you would do much better as a contractor as far as the number of loads they would offer

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
also if you or your driver does check calls either by phone or on the web every couple hours and remain on schedule for you pick or drop they tend not to call and wake you up. also as far as the money goes they are no cheaper than the rest of these .90 a mile outfits that clutters up my inbox. and on a plus side your money is always there. but don't think you will make a much of a living doing panther brokered loads only. make sure you grow like a panther if they call you. I like the fact that you can post your available equipment on the board but it seems like they don't bother looking at it cause every time they call its for a different type of equipment than I have posted.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
=jimlookup Why limit yourself to Panther? I used to get some good loads from On-Time and Bolt. On-Time dispatch was by phone.

=crich;634087]
make sure you grow like a panther if they call you.

jimlookup..
I was just about to ask what other companies with good reputations work as partner companies thanks.

crich, Actualy I had barking at the moon and chasing cars in mind... L.O.L.

Seriously, I realy apreciate the replys Im no stranger to the broker thing but most truck load brokers dont quite understand expedited or express freight get in get loaded or unloaded, and get out, not wait untill the next business day.

Im sure ill be asking some newbee questions.
Bob Wolf