paid by loaded mile..which is best?

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have run under Household Movers Guide,Rand McNally, USA Zip, and PC Miler. The first three were always short. That is to say, the difference on my odometer, of actual miles driven, compared to what I was paid for, had a discrepancy of anywhere from 50 to 100 miles on average for every trip. PC Miler is almost always on the money with discrepancies of under 10 miles difference on average, and an occasional run where i actually got paid for more miles than showed on my odometer for that trip! I would like to know what guide you guys are running under and how it´s working for you. Please post it. I don´t know of any expediting company that pays hub miles, and few class 8 companies. Hands down the best mileage guide.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have always used PC Miler for my mileage calculations and course routing, as it is the basis by which the company I am leased to pays me as do most other trucking companies. It is very accurate if you follow its routes. But, sometimes the shortest practical route it comes up with isn't always the fastest or easiest. Many times in those cases I bite the bullet as far as the mileage pay goes. A lot of times it will take the same amout of fuel to bypass a mountainous area on interstates as it will to climb through the area with fewer miles. I figure I break even as far as cost to me goes and save time and energy.
I'm not aware of any company that will pay by hub or vehicle odometer, as these are only as accurate as the instrument itself, and are very inconsistent among vehicles. I think the idea behind PC miler was to bring a "standard" of consistency to the industry.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use a program called Microsoft Streets. This program is real close to the hub, but then I pay myself. What is the cost of the PC miler program? I would like to check into it.