paccar versions of cummins medium duty engines

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I've heard a rumor that a cummins shop can't work on the px6,7,8,9 because it uses some proprietary paccar ecm interface so you can ONLY take those paccar banded cummins mills back to paccar shops, no luck getting them repaired by cummins/independant shops. Does anyone have any knowledge to confirm or deny this?

thanks!

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
No knowledge, BUT I would ask a Cummins shop. I would doubt any difference, why would they engineer something new? These new motors are complex, it seems it serves no purpose for Paccar to try and re-engineer something that Cummins has already done and it could just be a drop in power plant. I guess crazier things have been done...

Reactions: mugurpe

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paccar is the parent company for Peterbuilt and Kenworth.
The only difference I have found between Cummins and Paccar is the name stamped on the valve cover. Although newer truck components are being designed and assembled to work as a system. For example, a 32,000 truck with a 250hp engine will be matched to a transmission that is matched to the correct rated drive axle for weight and gear ratio, that is matched to the correct tire size, that is matched to the trucks intended use. Think of it as a circle that one part runs into the next.
The only reason I would think an independent Cummins shop may turn down work on a Paccar engine may be getting paid for warrantee work or if they are using NON OEM software.

Most aftermarket diagnostic computers are limited if not useless for several years at least 5 years if not longer after OEMs release new engines, etc., as the OEMs have allot of money wrapped up into their technology and manufacturing that they need to make back. Add to the fact manufacturers of diagnostic software and computers know that they will have the patent for a long time and will exploit that money train as long as possible.

I would check with a dealer service manager that services Cummins rather than an independent shop on this one.

Good Luck.
Bob Wolf

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I spoke to the local cummins shop (not a truck dealership but a standalone cummins location) and they said they could work on the PX's and their scantool/etc would work on it. The local non-paccar dealerships said they couldn't but also didn't seem too sure of themselves and maybe where thinking of the mx's but I didn't want to argue with them. the kenworth dealership said it's the same cummins software for the px series.

Reactions: TruckingSurv